PDA

View Full Version : Twin Zebras

Robert McGowen
09-10-2008, 6:46 PM
LOML wanted me to make a smaller version of the segmented piece that I posted last week. I had some 7/8" zebra wood, so I made the rings and then split them on the table saw with a jig that I made. Two zebras for just a little more time than making one! (Yes, it was in Malcolm's book... ;))
6" across and 3" high with 121 pieces each. I could not get the lighting right at all on the photos. The dark wood is walnut and there is a nice contrast between the two that the camera does not show. Thanks for looking.

Brian Brown
09-10-2008, 6:53 PM
Robert,

These look great! I like the form, and the wood color contrast. Wish I had time to get back to segmenting.

Barry Stratton
09-10-2008, 6:56 PM
Very nice!!!!!! I admire your patience.

robert hainstock
09-10-2008, 6:57 PM
The third pix has the best light to my eye,MHOP. I would finish the inside, (Seal). To reduce stress of wood moving later. :D
Bob

David Walser
09-10-2008, 7:15 PM
Robert,

I usually prefer zebra wood in small amounts, as an accent rather than the body of a piece. That's particularly true if the item consists of a number of pieces joined together -- like a raised panel with styles, rails, and panel made out of zebra wood. (I once made a large desk entirely out of zebra wood, with the base made out of raised panels and a glued up top. Wow! The zig zagging grain made me dizzy just looking at it.) Anyway, your walnut collar with the star-like rays seems to tame zebra wood's mal de mer inducing quality without reducing its pop or visual interest. The walnut seems to bring order out of the chaos of the zebra wood's wild grain. I never would have believed it possible to make a segmented piece (mostly) out of zebra wood without it being at least too busy for my taste, but you did. Very well done.

Steve Schlumpf
09-10-2008, 7:42 PM
Robert - you did good! Beautiful design - great wood combination! You're getting pretty good at that segmenting stuff! Looking forward to your next one!

Curt Fuller
09-10-2008, 8:34 PM
Robert those are both beauties. I love the wood combination and the design. They make a great set in the two sizes too.

Bernie Weishapl
09-10-2008, 8:36 PM
Robert those are beautiful. Both the design and form are great.