PDA

View Full Version : Hand Plane Tom Foolery

Matthew Poeller
09-10-2008, 4:55 PM
So you may have read some of my posts about rehabbing planes and the trouble that I was having with some of them.

Here:
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=72927
and
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=77943

I was able to get one working properly. The Stanley Handyman, the one that most people thought was a throw away plane.

I have been working on 3. There is a Bailey no5 and a no4 that I was working on. I could not get the no5 to work for the life of me and that is the one everyone said should work the best. So I gave up on that one. Then I was working on the no4 and did everything right, so I thought. I was trying to use it last night and no dice. I went through the book up and down. I noticed that it was physically impossible to put some of the parts together the way the book says you should (chip breaker and blade, etc). So I got to thinking. At one point all the planes were disassembled and I might have mixed the parts up. Or I could have purchased them mixed up. So I took all three of the planes and laid them on the table and compared parts from the working one to the two non-working ones. I noticed that I mixed up the blade and the chip breaker for the two non-working ones. I switched them, tried the no5 and it planed like a dream. I have not tried the smaller plane yet but I am sure that it will be working well.

SO, the moral of the story is that you may be doing everything correct, but if you are buying used planes make sure they have all the proper parts. If not you might not ever get them to work right no matter what you do.

John Dykes
09-10-2008, 5:42 PM
Huzzah!!

Good to hear from you again, and I'm so glad that you've got the planes working! It's certainly a pleasure to work wood with these hand tools.

Congrats!

- jbd in Denver

Matthew Poeller
09-10-2008, 6:25 PM
Ya, it has been a long time coming. I could not have done it without you John. I actually use the previous threads as a reference tool. I have not had a ton of time to get into the shop and the precious little time that I have had cannot always be used messing around with seemingly unproductive work.

I think that I am really going to enjoy using the planes.

Maybe one of these days I will splurge and see what one of these new fangled expensive planes drives like.

Again, thanks to everyones help.

Matt