PDA

View Full Version : Dust Collector Remote Control

Darrin Davis
09-10-2008, 3:01 PM
I have a 5 HP single phase woodcraft dust collector. Am I wasting my time looking for a remote control for the power? I can't find one that is rated over 3 HP.

If you know of one that would work I would greatly appreciate it.

mreza Salav
09-10-2008, 3:17 PM
I have a 5 HP single phase woodcraft dust collector. Am I wasting my time looking for a remote control for the power? I can't find one that is rated over 3 HP.

See the last three items at the bottom of this page:
http://www.clearvuecyclones.com/Order_Page.htm

You should be able to find the relay in a local electrical supply store too.

Brad Shipton
09-10-2008, 3:53 PM
With a relay or on/off/auto mag switch setup you can use most common 110V remotes. I am not an electrician, but an electrical friend wired mine up (7.5hp) that way. The Carlson remote that clearvue sells is not that great in my opinion. Several have had problems and now after a little over a year of use mine is getting flaky too.

Brad

Steve Clardy
09-10-2008, 4:11 PM
I made mine. Running a 4hp unit.

Look up Dennis Peacock, a member here.

He has a writeup on his personal website how to build one.

I built mine from his instructions for around $50.00

Tom Veatch
09-10-2008, 7:37 PM

Use just about any of them to control a relay that's rated for the 5HP motor. There's plenty of those available. You can find double pole relays to switch both legs of a 240volt circuit (although only one switched leg is necessary) with coils that work off just about any voltage you'd care to mention. Not sure about the low voltage coils, but those in the 120/240 VAC range generally require less than about 2 amps which is all the remote control would be required to handle.

I built mine based on the Robert Reed article in Woodwork, Issue 91, Feb 2005. The relay/contactor I used is controlled by a triac rated for 1 amp as I recall.

Jim Becker
09-10-2008, 8:06 PM
Steve already mentions the method that Dennis Peacock has contributed to SMC's archives. Mine is similar. A contactor (like a relay) with a 240v side rated for the load of the machine is controlled by pretty much any type of switching you want to use including a cheap Xmas Tree remote. My setup uses a simple, ordinary 120v single pole switch centrally located in my shop to control my Oneida cyclone system in a closet at the back of the shop. Total cost to build was under $50 and that included the contactor from the local electrical supply and a box I bought at the 'borg and gutted to contain it. I had the necessary cable left over from other hookups.

Jim O'Dell
09-10-2008, 9:39 PM
Mine is like Jim B's. I have my contactor trigger leads coming out of the box it's contained in, plugging into a switched receptacle. That way if I ever choose to go to a remote, any basic 110 volt remoter will just plug in the loop. Then my central "light" switch becomes a master on/off switch to keep someone from accidentally turning it on with a remote on the same frequency. But I just haven't seen the need for the remote yet. Jim.