PDA

View Full Version : Truck-assisted 3520 assembly (consummation of my earlier pre-gloat)

Josh Holden
09-10-2008, 2:27 PM
Had to take the cap off my truck (for the first time in 8 years) but pickup and assembly went off without a hitch. Clearances were tight:eek: though! Maybe this will help someone else with a garage shop.

Here's the play by play:

Step 1 -- uncrate, remove everything removable, leaving only the lathe bed in the pickup bed. Then backup the pickup into the garage.

Step 2 -- Attach one set of legs to the end, still hanging off the back of the truck (the feet are about 8" off the ground in this picture)

Step 3 -- Wiggle the assembly backwards until the feet are on the ground in final postion, with as little of the bed leaning on the tailgate as possible while leaving no chance of slipping off

Step 4 -- Using a cargo strap, tie the lathe bed to something in the ceiling and raise it slightly above the truck bed. This was the part with tight clearances: with an overhead garage door, the rafters above are behind the raised door. But if I pulled the truck out far enough so the cab was outside the garage, I could close the garage door halfway on the truck bed and have just enough space to loop the strap over the joist

Then just bolt the other legs, lower the lathe to the ground, and...

Josh Holden
09-10-2008, 2:31 PM
...the monster is home!

By the time I got to the borg to get the electrical hardware, it was 1 am, and I was too exhausted to do much more than power it up and take a couple test cuts. But wow, this is a whole different activity than it was on the grizz. :)

I thought I was stuck in the vortex before... I think I may need to move a cot into the garage next :D:D.

Josh

Steve Schlumpf
09-10-2008, 2:37 PM
Josh - Congrats on your new lathe! Looks like you figured everything out! Have fun with it! Looking forward to seeing some of your work off the new lathe - real soon!

Richard Madison
09-10-2008, 3:39 PM
Nice job unloading Josh. But look at all that empty space in the garage. I can see some of the floor. Maybe still need more tools.

robert hainstock
09-10-2008, 7:29 PM
Gosh Josh you just put two riggers out of work. Good old American ingenuity is a great thing in a pinch. I bet now you're having fun. CONGRATS. :D:D
Bob

Jim Becker
09-10-2008, 7:57 PM
Josh, congratulations on your new lathe.

Now, I DO have one small correction to make...it's NOT a garage...oy! It's a SHOP! :D :D :D

Sean Ackerman NY
09-10-2008, 8:28 PM
Josh, that's great stuff! Creative, good good story to tell future customers! I'll just have'em call you and you explain.... "Yeah, just close your garage halfway so it's almost 'leaning' on the truck, tie the lathe to the ceiling, hang it out the back, bolt on the legs...." Classic.

Enjoy it, glad to see you got it all setup safe and sound. Sure it will provide tons of fun.

Bernie Weishapl
09-10-2008, 8:35 PM
Congrats on the new lathe. Looks like she went together just fine. Now let see some turnings.

Roman Hruska
09-10-2008, 9:06 PM
Josh, congratulations on your new lathe.

Now, I DO have one small correction to make...it's NOT a garage...oy! It's a SHOP! :D :D :D

And when you sell your first piece at a good price in becomes a studio!

Congrats on the lathe.

Roman