PDA

View Full Version : Off center rastering

Craig Hogarth
09-10-2008, 2:13 PM
There's two problems shown here. The top picture shows where the engraving shifted right. This doesn't happen all the time, but more than it should. As you can see, it shifted as soon as it started engraving the logo on the left.

The bottom one is a problem that I've had for a while now where the engraving isn't centered. The customer has always said I was crazy since they couldn't see tell. However the layout of the text on this one does make it noticable and I can't figure out why it's doing it.

When I engrave these, I cut out all the tags first. On the last sheet, I tape it down so it won't move and then do all the raster engraving.

I measured it and it's 1/16 off center.

Anyone got any ideas?

http://img139.imageshack.us/img139/7742/badtagsac0.jpg

Dave Marshall
09-10-2008, 3:04 PM
For the first issue:
Have you recently removed the mirror cover to clean the mirror assembly on the left side of the machine? And are you placing these tags up against the far left ruler? Double check that the mirror assembly cover is on correctly. What I think is happening is that you begin the raster engraving and once the engraving for the logo begins, the focus carriage travels to the far left; hits the mirror assembly cover which then causes the focus carriage to "jump" to the right. It then finishes engraving your piece with this "offset," which will remain until you re-home the X-Y or power the machine on-off (which automatically re-homes X-Y).

For the second issue:
I'm not sure why it'd be off center other than the rulers are "off" on your machine. I'd suggest checking them or resetting them.

Mike Mackenzie
09-10-2008, 3:05 PM
Craig,

Check to be sure the drive gear on the X motor is not loose or see if the clamp is cracked. this would be the first thing to look at. also be sure to clean the rail top and bottom.

To check and see if your rulers are good press the XY button and then press the two triangle keys at the same time this will shoot the head over to the zero position. On the display be sure it reads 0 x and 0 Y in the orgin setting. Look at the red diode and see if the spot is at the zero position.

If it is off then you will have to adjust your rulers.

Joe Pelonio
09-10-2008, 3:19 PM
What machine do you have? The first problem is typical of a dirty encoder strip on the Epilog. Mine did that about 2-3 times a year and reminded me to clean it. Now I do it whenever I clean the lenses/mirrors.

Craig Hogarth
09-10-2008, 4:11 PM
Joe, it's a ULS M360.

Thanks Mike, I'll look at it once I'm done with the job. I moved the file over 1/16th inch and printed it again, so it works fine.

The rules are fine. The thing that confuses me is that I'm vector cutting and rastering off the same file and they're definitely centered on corel. Since I have to peel the mask and clean the edges, it's done in two different print jobs. Do you think that could make a difference?

Craig Hogarth
09-10-2008, 4:13 PM
For the first issue:
Have you recently removed the mirror cover to clean the mirror assembly on the left side of the machine? And are you placing these tags up against the far left ruler? Double check that the mirror assembly cover is on correctly. What I think is happening is that you begin the raster engraving and once the engraving for the logo begins, the focus carriage travels to the far left; hits the mirror assembly cover which then causes the focus carriage to "jump" to the right. It then finishes engraving your piece with this "offset," which will remain until you re-home the X-Y or power the machine on-off (which automatically re-homes X-Y).

For the second issue:
I'm not sure why it'd be off center other than the rulers are "off" on your machine. I'd suggest checking them or resetting them.

Dave, sorry, i missed your post. This happened to me a couple weeks ago. I heard this little banging noise coming from the engraver and found out it was hitting the mirror assembly cover. I readjusted it and i never heard it again.

Is it ok for me to run the engraver without the cover? I'd like to see if it makes an improvement.

Mike Mackenzie
09-11-2008, 12:13 PM
Craig,

I would be very curious to see what firmware version you have on the system. You can remove the cover if you want it will not effect anything.

Todd Schwartz
09-11-2008, 12:21 PM
Craig,

Were you paying close attention when the first example happened? Did the laser pause at the point where it shifted? I am still wrestling with an issue that occasionally happens during a large raster job where the laser pauses and then restarts at a different spot, offsetting my text, like in your first example. Have not found a resolution yet.

Todd

Mike Mackenzie
09-11-2008, 12:46 PM
Todd,

Your issue may not be related to what craig is seeing because the versa lasers use the PC as there controller it is possible that something within the PC could cause what you are experiencing. What version of software do you have currently, how is the computer configured?

There might be an easy answer for your problem.

Mike Null
09-11-2008, 3:13 PM
Mike

It seems that I had this issue on my old ULS. As I recall it was a communication problem. Long time ago so my memory may have slipped.

Mike Mackenzie
09-11-2008, 5:46 PM
Mike,

Typically with the platform and older systems this type of problem was related to mechanical. There is a possibility of it being related to electronics but 9 times out of 10 it was mechanical.

With the versa systems it is the complete opposite.

Barb Macdonald
09-11-2008, 6:27 PM
with the epilog Abigail, and it was dirt build-up on the drive (I call it a spindle) gear. Epilog talked me through it, did a great job:) Had to remove the x-motor, and clean out the gunk.
Y'know, I love dirt. Outside, under my plants. But not in my machine:)

have a good night!

Craig Hogarth
09-11-2008, 9:37 PM
Craig,

I would be very curious to see what firmware version you have on the system. You can remove the cover if you want it will not effect anything.

Mike, send me a message to explain where I get that info. I might forget to check the thread again.

Kevin L. Waldron
09-12-2008, 5:52 PM
The drive interface for ULS has been giving us fits. We will often use a file with our cnc where we will need to do both router and laser work. We will route the part and then do a HPGL export from Artcam etc. and then import into Corel so that we can index the part to the same xyz. We place the cnc tool paths(routes) on a different Corel layers then add the laser work in Corel, often on different layers and when we are through drawing we either hide or turn the cnc layers off. When we send this file over to the interface it looks correct in the interface screen but when we tell the laser to print this is when we get all kinds of shifting/skewing/offsetting etc. We usually just have to delete the cnc files which is a real bumper if you need a week later to change, modify, or add something else to this file.

I have confirmed with "Universal" tech that in there ILS_VLS drivers there is an issue when in Corel and you use various layers (either on or off layers) that sometimes items will shift or even skew when sent to the interface at times even though file or files are correct in Corel(this does not happen all the time but for us probably about 85% of the time). They are working on a fix but this is not high priority because most people don't use layers. This could also be a problem that tech has been unaware of in earlier versions and this little culprit could be sticking its head up at other places. ????

Kevin

Todd Schwartz
09-13-2008, 4:21 PM
Mike,

I am at version 1.28.5.

I have a laptop that I use that is running Window XP SP3. This issue began about the time I had to replace my CPU module on my VL. Could there be any connection?

I have gone through and set the VL as a priority in the Task Manager and run no other apps when engraving as well as shutting down anything else in my system tray that is not related to the engraving project. I have a powered hub and have considered replacing that in an attempt to resolve this issue. Is there something in my printer settings I should consider?

Appreciate your willingness to help.

Todd

Todd,

Your issue may not be related to what craig is seeing because the versa lasers use the PC as there controller it is possible that something within the PC could cause what you are experiencing. What version of software do you have currently, how is the computer configured?

There might be an easy answer for your problem.

Mike

Mike Mackenzie
09-15-2008, 9:05 PM
Todd,

The software version is OK, the symptoms of it starting once you changed the CPU is interesting. Were you running SP3 before the CPU change?

Have you tried a different USB port?
Have you tried a new USB Cable?
Have you tried by passing the USB Hub?

I would try these first and see what happens.

Todd Schwartz
09-15-2008, 9:54 PM
Thanks Mike, SP3 is new, this issue is not.

Will try your suggestions one by one to try to isolate for future reference.

Thanks again,

Todd