PDA

View Full Version : What will I need to start turning bowls?

Michael Lutz
09-10-2008, 2:04 PM
I have a Jet mini lathe, 3/4" roughing gouge, and a parting tool. I have the faceplate that came with the lathe.

I figure I should get a bowl gouge or two, some scrapers, and a chuck. I also should get a visor for face protection. Anything else that you can think of?

Now I just need to finish a few shop storage projects to be able to use the lathe.

Thanks,

Mike

Norm Zax
09-10-2008, 2:20 PM
Some wood, preferably green wood, which can be much more fun for practicing;
Some type of sealer, wax or Anchorseal or... for starting your very own wood collection;
A Bill Grumbine DVD (or other);
For phase 2: several hollowing tools out there which make the hollowing faster and smoother.

Brian Brown
09-10-2008, 2:39 PM
Rather than making a list of what you need, it is easier to just go to your local woodturniung store (Woodcraft, Craft Supply USA or what ever you have in your area), and hand them your wallet. ;) Say I want one of everything. They'll fix you right up. :eek: As for the other shop projects, just turn your first bowl before you start your other projects, and you will never have to worry about getting to them. :D

Jim Underwood
09-10-2008, 3:14 PM
And don't use that roughing gouge on the bowls.

Josh Holden
09-10-2008, 3:15 PM
Say I want one of everything.

Actually, make that two of everything. :D

You'll need a grinder -- sharper tools are much more fun to use, meaning multiple sharpenings per bowl. A decent grinding jig significantly improves the turning-to-sharpening ratio.

Other than that, you can get away with just one bowl gouge and one scraper for a while until you figure out your preferences.

I'd add some kind of breathing protection for sanding -- the $30 cartridge respirator works well for me.

That's the list that got me through the first year.

Josh

Frank Kobilsek
09-10-2008, 3:18 PM
Mike

Before you turn a bowl join the Central Illinois Woodturners!

Meet in Bloomington and Peoria

Frank

Michael Lutz
09-10-2008, 6:07 PM
Norm,

I have wood. A pile of birch in the garage and I have 3 trees to come down, 2 oaks and a maple. I do need some sealer. For Christmas I received the Richard Raffan Box set of turning books, but I could look into getting a DVD.

Brian,

I generally only buy sale items or items I need right away at woodcraft. Otherwise I would go broke.

Jim,

Which is the reason I have not yet turned a bowl.

Josh,

I have a Tormek for sharpening. I will see how that works. I don't have a respirator, so I will put that on the list. Would a Trend airshield or something similar be better than a visor and a respirator? I know in costs more.

Frank,

The problem with the Central Illinois Woodturners is the meeting time. Last time I looked it up it was on Monday nights. My wife is teaching on Monday evenings this semester, so I have kid duty.

Thanks,

Mike

Roger Alexander
09-10-2008, 6:52 PM
Frank I have the Trend Airshield and love it. As you know I also ware eye glasses. Even with a face shield you should always use saftey glasses under it. This will help save your eyes if some thing does go wrong.

Bernie Weishapl
09-10-2008, 8:45 PM
Michael I have the Tormek sharpener and I have found it keeps my tools sharper longer. Also have the Trend with two batteries and I wear glasses underneath with no problems.