PDA

View Full Version : First time using lathe

Chris Barnett
09-10-2008, 12:21 PM
Have the PM lathe moved to the shop, have an extension cord made and 220v available and have some wood.
Question regarding possible first time problems: should a center be used in a chuck or directly in the drive the first time wood is turned? Am totally new to this and will be the first time turning, so would like a comfy feeling until I get the hang of it (oops :D, no pun intended). Was looking for primer on first time users....any around?

Robert McGowen
09-10-2008, 12:27 PM
If I understand what you are asking, I would put the center drive directly into the spindle on the headstock and snug up the tailstock to it on the other end.

Ken Fitzgerald
09-10-2008, 12:34 PM
Chris.....a book I'd recommend "Woodturning - A Foundation Course" by Keith Rowley. Currently selling for $14 at Amazon.

Any of the Richard Raffan books or DVDs.....any of BIll Grumbine's DVDs....a book on segmented turning by Malcolm Tibbetts.....

Don Carter
09-10-2008, 2:58 PM
I would second what Ken Said. You need to do a little reading and/studying at the very least. These are powerful machines and spinny things can be dangerous.

Frank Kobilsek
09-10-2008, 3:11 PM
Chris

Go to a Club meeting. Go to a class. Find a mentor. An hour with an other turner in your shop before you even turn on the lathe will be worth the delay in your jump in our obsession.

For your safety and your enjoyment please find some kind of coaching. I bet there are ten turners in Knoxville that would be happy to help.

Frank

Dan Bertenthal
09-10-2008, 3:13 PM
As a beginner myself, I've found Alan Lacer's videos to be extremely helpful. His explanations are great, he proceeds at a reasonable speed, and the camerawork is extremely clear. His videos cost twice as much as the Raffan videos, but I think they're worth it. I own the Raffan videos as well and find them much more difficult to follow due to the speed at which he works (he's absolutely dazzling to watch, but I suspect his videos are better suited to intermediate turners looking to refine their skills). FineWoodworking.com also has a few snippets from Ernie Conover, who I wish would produce some full-length videos because I love the way he teaches (someday I hope to make it to his school).

Bernie Weishapl
09-10-2008, 9:08 PM
I third what Ken said.

Gary Herrmann
09-10-2008, 10:02 PM
If you're more of a book guy, Keith Rowley's Woodturning - A Foundation Course is a very good book.

Having a mentor would be best and videos can show so much, but I have to admit to being a book geek. :rolleyes:

Chris Barnett
09-11-2008, 12:15 PM
Thanks. With your comments and a few books which I had, the problem is solved. Have a few books and videos on turning, but they are generally above the particular issue. Had assumed a particular document on "steb" type centers was correct, but now believe it was incomplete, which was giving me problems understanding how to best use the driver with or without a chuck.

Don Eddard
09-11-2008, 8:45 PM
If I understand your last statement, it sounds like you were trying to use the spur center with the chuck. They are mutually exclusive, you shouldn't use both at once.

I'll second (or third or whatever) the suggestion to get some hands-on mentoring from someone. Even if it's just and hour in some guy's shop, it'll save you a ton of time in the long run, and possibly help keep you from hurting yourself. These things can kill you if you don't know what you're doing.