PDA

View Full Version : Apple wood source

Michael Hammers
09-10-2008, 11:00 AM
Hi,
I am having a couple new saws made and wanted to have the handles made in apple wood but am having trouble finding a source for dried apple. Does anyone have any suggestions for a vendor?
Thanks!
MSH

Mike Bayerl
09-10-2008, 11:05 AM
Hearne Hardwood often has applewood.

David Epperson
09-10-2008, 11:39 AM
Hi,
I am having a couple new saws made and wanted to have the handles made in apple wood but am having trouble finding a source for dried apple. Does anyone have any suggestions for a vendor?
Thanks!
MSH
No. But if you were located around Little Rock, Arkansas I could set you up with an 8"-10" diameter by 8' to 10' apple tree trunk I had to fell out of the back yard last weekend.

Chris Schumann
09-10-2008, 1:00 PM
I have some chunks of apple that have been drying in my yard for a few months... and a new band saw that needs something to do.

If you specify some stock I can cut for you, I might even send some pieces just for the cost of shipping.

Michael Hammers
09-10-2008, 1:20 PM
Chris, let me get with Andrew who is making the saw to see what rough dimmensions he needs. I may take you up on that and would surely take care of shipping, heck I might even throw in enuff for a pint ;)
I have an apple tree in the yard that I am taking down this fall when the apples are all gone and the leaves drop. I had so many apples on it this year the limbs broke. But it will not be dry for awhile.
Actually I am not sure what moisture content would be proper for a handtool handle?
Thanks!