PDA

View Full Version : L Bracket for Floating Vanity

John DeMeester
09-10-2008, 9:09 AM
I need an L bracket like the one in the pdf. I cannot get it from Ronbow. Anyone know where I can order one.

Jim Becker
09-10-2008, 9:24 AM
Welcome to SMC.

I don't know about those particular brackets, but FastCap has some that might work well for your application called the Speed Brace. Originally intended for cantilevered desk and shelf applications, they have a pretty nice design. There are some other heavy duty brackets on the site (Woodworker's Hardware), too.

http://wwhardware.com/catalog.cfm/GroupID/Closet%20%26%20Cabinet%20Shelving/CatID/Shelf%20Brackets%2C%20Heavy%20Duty/showprod/1

Jamie Buxton
09-10-2008, 11:16 AM
You don't actually need an L-bracket to mount the box shown in that pdf. Most kitchen upper cabinets are hung on to the wall with screws through a "nailing" rail along the top of the back. That's exactly the same structural problem you're doing with your floating vanity.

Here's the approach I'd use. I'd put a plywood top on the vanity, and a nail rail below it, fastened well to the top. Screw through the nail rail into studs. If the nail rail were not fastened to the top, it might bend at the screws, but when it is fastened to the top, it will hold the rail straight. At the bottom of the vanity, also put a plywood bottom. The rear edge of the bottom will bear on studs someplace along the wall, and prevent the vanity from rotating down. You can also use a nail rail at the bottom, and put some screws into the studs. If the vanity is fairly tall -- say as tall as it is deep -- this will be a completely secure installation.

Lee Schierer
09-10-2008, 11:52 AM
This is a prefect application for a French cleat. You can make the mounting permanent by running srews or nails up through the cleat from inside the drawer area if you want. The angles don't offer any more strength than you would get from a cleat mounting.

Ed Peters
09-10-2008, 2:15 PM
This is a prefect application for a French cleat. You can make the mounting permanent by running srews or nails up through the cleat from inside the drawer area if you want. The angles don't offer any more strength than you would get from a cleat mounting.

He's right you know.

Ed