PDA

View Full Version : A couple of Ash wood platters

Leo Van Der Loo
09-10-2008, 12:19 AM
I made these Ash platters earlier this year, they come from a very large and tall White Ash from good friends of ours, it got hit by lightning about 10 years ago and my friend and I had been discussing to take some large limbs down from it, as we were afraid it would fall onto the power-line.
I think it was the day before Christmas, a sudden winter storm brought it down, and it fell towards the house, hit the house and did some damage, but minor to what could have been had it fallen just a few feet more left or right.
Anyway I got a couple pieces from the upper end of the tree and made a couple platters and bowls from it, one platter went to our friends, and they were pretty pleased with the looks of it.
Both these platters are a hair over 17"
Comments and/or suggestions are always appreciated :D

Barry Stratton
09-10-2008, 12:22 AM
Absolute beauties!!! Bet the neighbor's were happy.:D

Robert McGowen
09-10-2008, 12:59 AM
That's some nice looking wood with quite a story behind it.

David Walser
09-10-2008, 1:53 AM
Leo,

I like both platters, but especially the first. The figure in the wood reminds me why Ash is one of my favorite woods, and your design does an excellent job of showing off the wood to its best advantage. Very well done.

Steve Schlumpf
09-10-2008, 9:29 AM
Both are very nice platters Leo! Amazing grain! Love the form and size of each!

Paul Girouard
09-10-2008, 9:37 AM
Great work Leo! :cool:

Leo Van Der Loo
09-10-2008, 5:02 PM
Thanks for the comment Barry, it is appreciated :)

Oh by the way, they are not neighbors, but good friends, and yes they loved the platter :D.

Tom Bucanan
09-10-2008, 6:36 PM
Amazing! I can't wait to get my hands on some ash

earl timmons
09-10-2008, 7:58 PM
Nice job Leo. I enjoy turning ash and platters are a favorite. Your work is excellent and that is some of the prettiest ash I have ever seen.

Curt Fuller
09-10-2008, 8:37 PM
That's some spectacular wood! Nice platters!

Bernie Weishapl
09-10-2008, 8:38 PM
Absolutely beautiful Leo. Nice design and great looking wood.

Leo Van Der Loo
09-11-2008, 1:00 AM
Thank you all, I appreciate you taking the time to comment :D:D

Joshua Dinerstein
09-11-2008, 6:36 PM
Wow! Those look amazing. Both the turning and the grain. Seriously beautiful!

Joshua

Rob Harville
09-11-2008, 6:59 PM
Very nice looking! But you got a 17" platter out of the UPPER part of this tree? Must have been a big one.

I have a hunk of Ash that I hope to turn into something pretty.

Rob

Leo Van Der Loo
09-11-2008, 9:37 PM
Thanks Joshua, yes nice wood, I like Ash, any Ash, White, Blue, Red or Black, they are all nice turning wood, and we're about to loose them through the introduced insects :-((

Thanks Rob, yes a large tree and very tall also with little taper to it, he (my friend) has quite a few large Ash trees on his property and bush, this one was one of the largest ones, I would estimate about 3 feet at the bottom end and no limbs for the first 30 feet or better, it's all firewood now but the 2 pieces I cut off of it.