PDA

View Full Version : Glue Pot?

Dan Lautner
09-09-2008, 11:22 PM
I will be using quite a bit oh hide glue for a project. I'm looking
for a hot glue pot with a thermostat. Any idea where to get one or a brand name? Thanks for any help.

Dan

Charlie Schultz
09-10-2008, 6:40 AM
Stewart-MacDonald sells one ("Hold Heet") for ~$115 (no thermostat). Many people use a Rival electric hot pot ($20? at places like WalMart).

Kevin Adams
09-10-2008, 7:32 AM
Dan, you might post this on the hand tool side as you'll get lots of advice over there. In addition to what Charles mentioned, I believe you can find quality pots at The Best Things or Tools for Working Wood.

Kevin

Chris Barnett
09-10-2008, 7:59 AM
Check kitchen supply store etc. We have a small teflon lined metal pot for dips etc., maybe a quart but probably smaller, with thermostat (have two and one will be confiscated for my shop when I need it...and she is not looking). Has top too. Think we bought for less than $20. Don't know if teflon would be acceptable for glues....ok for her cooking so must be ok :D....o-o-o-oh I'll be sorry for that.

mike holden
09-10-2008, 8:05 AM
You can also get the hold-heet model from Rockler.
If you contact the Olde Mill Shoppe, I believe that they can still get the copper insert if you are going to put the glue directly in the pot. Copper cuts down on the creeping crud.
If you are going to use it like a double boiler - glue in a jar, jar in water, water in heater - then the standard liner is fine.
Mike

Arnold E Schnitzer
09-10-2008, 8:27 AM
I am an instrument maker so I use hide glue all the time. You can use a $10 hot pot, half full of water, and keep your glue in a covered jar. Just get a submersible thermometer and keep the water bath around 130-140F. Works great!

Justin Leiwig
09-10-2008, 8:34 AM
I am an instrument maker so I use hide glue all the time. You can use a $10 hot pot, half full of water, and keep your glue in a covered jar. Just get a submersible thermometer and keep the water bath around 130-140F. Works great!

This is what I was going to suggest, also if you search some luthier sites you will find home made hide pots, but with the simplicity of a small crock pot and some water I don't see why you would waste the time honestly.

Jack Briggs
09-10-2008, 9:08 AM
Stewart-MacDonald sells one ("Hold Heet") for ~$115 (no thermostat). Many people use a Rival electric hot pot ($20? at places like WalMart).

Actually, the Hold Heet is thermostatically controlled to keep hide glue at the correct temp, 140-145°F. The other plus is it's available in 240V versions.

Jack Briggs
09-10-2008, 9:10 AM

I do the same in a double boiler-type setup. Actually a glass jelly jar with the glue, suspended in a brass wire cage that holds that jar above the bottom of a saucepan. With the temperature differential and heat loss, bring the water bath to about 150°F for a 140-145°F glue temp.

Cliff Rohrabacher
09-10-2008, 9:18 AM
Target & WALL MART both sell cheap but effective crock pots. That's what I'd get & of course a thermometer to achieve and maintain the temp I wanted.

Hank Knight
09-10-2008, 12:10 PM
If you want "pretty" there's this one: http://www.lmii.com/carttwo/thirdproducts.asp?NameProdHeader=Brass+Glue+Pot

Dan Lautner
09-10-2008, 12:53 PM
Thanks for all the great advice. I think I will try the cheap electric pot
with a thermometer. Has anyone used Rockler brand hide glue? I'm in the Los Angeles area and looking for a good glue.

Thanks Dan

mike holden
09-11-2008, 8:04 AM
Dan,
I use either Rockler or whatever is cheapest/available - works fine.
Dont over think this, in the old days they kept a pot by the fire and moved it to the bench when they needed to glue and put it back when done.
It is truly simple to work with.
The only real concern I have ever had is keeping it from growing mold/algae/bacteria.
The glue is almost as good a growth medium as agar (remember your biology class? when you sneezed on the agar dish and then grew bacteria?)
So, at the end of the day, cover and put in the fridge.
If I forget and leave it out, I will discard it and start over - its cheap and once you have had the creeping crud grow in a batch, you will be careful too. (note: does not affect the gluing - just stinks and looks ghastly!)
Have fun!
Mike