PDA

View Full Version : Wood selection for tool boxes/chests?

Will Krautkramer
09-09-2008, 10:49 PM
Hi, What is a good wood to choose when constructing a tool box? I am new to wood working and have considered building a tool box/chest this winter to house my tools as a project to get me started. I'm not sure what wood would be best to use. I am more concerned about durability and functionality than appearance. I had originally considered maple but have been unable to find a good supply locally. I've found some red oak at a good price but have concerns about the acid in the oak reacting with the tools when it gets humid in my garage. The same seller also had some ash and cherry for sale. Thanks, Bill

mike holden
09-10-2008, 8:17 AM
construction grade pine would work well for the toolbox.
However, most make their boxes out of other materials such as cherry or mahogany for the looks. There is an argument that good looking equipment, storage, and tools inspire a woodworker to do better work. YMMV
Of the woods you mentioned, ash is probably the strongest for the least cost, but again simple pine is strong enough. You should not worry about oak and metal as you should put a coat of shellac or BLO on the box before putting the tools in.
So, in short, use the material that pleases *you*.
Let us know what you decide and pictures are always good.
Mike

Jim Becker
09-10-2008, 8:55 AM
Almost anything will work. For informal tool carriers, etc., many folks will just use pine as Mike suggested. A lot of the published designs for more "formal" tool chests and cabinets seem to use oak, which is readily available, relatively inexpensive, easy to work and quite "durable". But oak wouldn't work for me simply because I'm not a fan of the look of oak outside of Quarter Sawn White Oak in Stickley type projects. I'd probably make my tool chest out of cherry...LOL

Mike K Wenzloff
09-10-2008, 9:19 AM
Hello Will,

Traditionally, Pine would be used for the construction. If a traditional chest, the inside would be veneered for looks and, perhaps to say I am skilled. The correlation for a wall-mounted tool cabinet would be Pine for the carcass and the exterior veneered I suppose.

It is a relatively inexpensive means of both doing good, solid construction combined with a good looks.

Take care, Mike