PDA

View Full Version : Oak Curio Cabinet(Pics)

Donnie Raines
05-08-2004, 9:01 PM
At last..got this puppy done just in time for my mommy. This thing has been sitting in my shop for the pat 3 months just screaming at me to finish it..and today was the day. I got the glass made at my local antique/glass supplier for less then 100 bucks. I even turned these bun feet. Now, i must confess...this design came from one of the local furnture stores.What can I say, my mom wanted one..so I made it.

Thanks for looking

Donnie Raines

Jim Becker
05-08-2004, 9:15 PM
That looks great, Donnie! Very nice piece and eye catching with it's "low-down" design. Lots of space for tchatckas, too.

John Miliunas
05-08-2004, 9:33 PM
Donnie, that looks simply marvelous! Phenomenal job, all the way around! :D Boy, I'll bet she's gonna' be one happy and proud "Mom" tomorrow! Awesome price on the glass, too! I don't even want to think what they'd have charged me around here for something like that! Again, beautiful! :cool:

Bob Marino
05-08-2004, 9:58 PM
Real nice Donnie. Can you tell us what the finish is? Looks smooth as silk.

Bob

Dean Baumgartner
05-08-2004, 10:24 PM
Very nice Donnie. I especially like what the antique type glass adds to the piece.

Jack Diemer
05-08-2004, 10:25 PM
Very Nice!!!

Don Abele
05-08-2004, 10:29 PM
Donnie, beautiful piece. A couple of details caught my eye. The chamfer (with a bead detail?) on the corners and the curve to the drawer fronts and corner blocks (with beading). Very nice...but, details...how'd you do it?

I'm interested in the chamfer with a bead as that's what I want to use for my daughters bed.

But I love the curve to those drawers...please explain.

Brian Knop
05-08-2004, 11:40 PM
Very nice indeed!

Brian

David Klug
05-09-2004, 12:08 AM
Donnie it's beautiful but tell us how you did the chamfering.

DK

Von Bickley
05-09-2004, 12:23 AM
Great looking cabinet. :)

Todd Burch
05-09-2004, 8:05 AM
Very nice job Donnie! Your mom will love it!!

Waymon Campbell
05-09-2004, 8:28 AM
Details....Donnie...Details.

Beuatiful piece of work!

Ken Fitzgerald
05-09-2004, 8:36 AM
Beautiful work Donnie! :D Quoting Waymon and Doc.....details.....how'd you do the chamfer and bead......what's the finish? :confused: Again, beautiful! Your mother will be happy! :D

Donnie Raines
05-09-2004, 9:22 AM
Thanks guys!

Ok, the finish is rather straight forward. I used Moser dye color Shaker Maple(water base). The lumber is White oak by the way. I then used a custom blend of oil based pore filler, tinted with some Shaker maple color. I then used scoth brite pad to item for its top coat. I used 4 coats of Pratt and Lambert #38 varnish. it comes as a brushing varnish, but I mix it 75% varnish to 25% mineral spirits and use it as a wipeing varnish. It dries very quickly so you need to work it in rather quickly and in small areas. Once cured I then rubbed it down with Wool Lube and then used a good paste wax. I dont use wax all that often, but this approach worked well here.

The drawer fronts were also pretty straight forward. I cut the oak into thin strips and used that as a bent lamination form. I made a mdf template and glued it up that way. The only thing you need to have is a drum sander to smooth out the thin strips. the drawer sides are slideing dovetails..so that will provide good durabilty.

The chamfer was actually a bit that I had made at my local sharpening service for another project. So, it is not something you can go right out and buy. However, you could use a beading tool with a like profile(that you can cut yourself) and it would work just as well...just not as quickly as the router bit.

The fluting was also rather straight forward. I cut the profile out on the bandsaw and then used a double flute beading bit on the router table. if you look closely at the center of the flute you will see that both sides are of equal profile. I just used the center of the "flute to be" as the guide for the bearings on the beading bit to trace out the cut.

Thanks again!

Donnie Raines

Mark Rios
05-09-2004, 10:25 AM
Donnie, that's truly outstanding. You sure have the touch. Very well done.

Daniel Rabinovitz
05-09-2004, 1:03 PM
Donnie
The cabinet is exquisite!
I really like the fancy scroll at the bottom ("s" curve)
It looks really great.
Daniel :cool:

Jim Young
05-09-2004, 6:25 PM
Nice gift Donnie, the glass is a very nice touch.

Kent Cori
05-10-2004, 9:50 AM
Donnie,

Terrific job on the cabinet. It is just too beutiful. I really love the glass.

I was also impressed with the top-notch helpers you have. :)