View Full Version : Glue stain on tablesaw

Philip Florio
09-09-2008, 9:53 PM
I was gluing up a frame on my cast iron table saw. I thought I was using wax paper but it was parchment paper. I tried first to use a pitch remover than I even tried mineral spirits. There is no build up, just a stain.

Any thoughts on removing this?

Phil

Guy Germaine
09-10-2008, 6:42 AM
Try a Scotch-Brite pad.

Jim Becker
09-10-2008, 9:29 AM
It's "patina".... :) Try the Scotchbright mentioned, but if that doesn't work, it's probably not work fretting about. Cast iron stains since it's porous and you'll likely have many more over the life of the machine.

Lee Schierer
09-10-2008, 11:56 AM
I agree with the others, try buffing with a scotch brite pad, leave it alone or spread glue on the entire surface to make the whole table uniform in color. This is the price one pays for using their saw table as an assembly table. I do the same thing in my shop. :rolleyes:

glenn bradley
09-10-2008, 12:37 PM
Boeshield Rust Free has removed just about every stain or shadow for me. The T-9 doesn't do much for me but the acidic Rust Free works great. Just follow the directions and don't eat a hole through anything.

Mitchell Andrus
09-10-2008, 12:39 PM
Water based glue, right? It's rust.

John Thompson
09-10-2008, 12:46 PM
It's rust as mentioned with the water based glue and ditto Glenn on the Boeshield Rust Remover. But... be darn sure you follow directions and apply it gentle strokes. The Boeshield rep dropped by the Steel City Booth at IWF and demonstrated it.. It works but is acidic and you gentlely rub in on and off to get at the rust down in the pores. Only a minute or so of light rub is required. A scoth-brite was not even required when he demo'ed but if the rust is very deep.. it may be.

Sarge..

Frank Drew
09-10-2008, 12:49 PM
I'm with Jim in the don't worry about it school.

Josiah Bartlett
09-10-2008, 7:36 PM
I look at it the same way I do cast iron pans- a bit of patina is supposed to be there, just nothing crusty that makes things stick to it. The patina is stuff that has filled the pores of the cast iron and keeps nastier stuff from sticking to it.

As long as your table isn't leaving stains on the wood you are cutting or is so dirty that it binds the saw, I look at extra glue and wax as pore filler on my saw.

Eddie Darby
09-10-2008, 9:16 PM
I have a plywood table top that has some melamine laminate glued on it, that goes over my table saw when I use it for non table saw stuff.

Cary Falk
09-10-2008, 10:16 PM
You could cover the whole table with glue to match the stain.:D I'm sorry, couldn't resist. There are stains all over my 1970 Uni. It is covered with dust most of the time that I don't notice anymore.

David DeCristoforo
09-10-2008, 10:36 PM
"You could cover the whole table with glue to match the stain...I'm sorry, couldn't resist."

Actually that's probably the best advice you could offer. Somehow, I just can't worry about stains on my table saw top. My Uni is at least 50 years old and at this point, the whole top is one big stain. Somehow, the thing still cuts wood anyway!

Cliff Rohrabacher
09-11-2008, 9:28 AM
"You could cover the whole table with glue to match the stain...I'm sorry, couldn't resist."

I came this '' close to doing that with my new saw using west 209 and a naptha thinner. But I didn't and I still which I had. I'd have sealed all those millions and millions of little pores that are just itching and dying to capture some bit of moisture.