PDA

View Full Version : Shop wall electrical upgrade

Tom Godley
09-09-2008, 9:30 PM
My shop is comprised of two building - both are in the 25'x25' range. One is from the 60's the other was built about 10 years ago. The older building is 2x4 construction with a 100 amp sub-panel and a few 110 and 220 outlets. The newer structure was built as an open studio out of insulated panels (SIP) it does not have any electric except for lighting. Both buildings have drywall.

I have been trying to figure out how to add power as well as compressed gas lines in both buildings. In the newer building because of the SIP's everything must be surface mounted and to save wire another sub-panel must be installed.

I like how "The Smart Shop" in Fine Woodworking worked out. He finished the walls with MDF sheets and 1x boards to make panels with a cap all the way around the shop. I was thinking that I could do the same thing except instead of just making a cap I could box out a channel above the MDF sheet that could hold all the wires and copper air line and also act as a nice shelf. I could then drop down or go up on the surface in conduit to feed outlets as needed - maybe even wiremould outlets in some areas. The face of the channel could be screwed on to allow for changes that I know will come.

Can anybody think of reason -- code or otherwise why this is not a good idea?

Rollie Meyers
09-09-2008, 11:17 PM
All your conductors would be condsidered "bundling" and would require derating,since they would be bundled in excess of 24 inches.

Tom Godley
09-10-2008, 8:47 AM
No longer have a code book - I do understand the principle.

So they would consider this a wire chase? It will not have very many wires in it - but it is a chase. But code is code.

Actually, this would not be a problem. The problem I am up against is that I do not know what or where I need the power -- I need to design a system that I can add to it without destroying everything