PDA

View Full Version : Oneida DC install

Jim Barrett
05-08-2004, 7:13 PM
I mounted my Oneida 2hp Commercial DC today and I noticed the unit is not "plumb" The wall bracket the unit is hanging from has some flex in it...not sure if that is normal. Wondering if others have had similiar issues?
Thanks,
JimB

Mark Singer
05-08-2004, 7:20 PM
Mine is very plumb...is the bracket deflecting or is it pulling away from the wall?

Jim Barrett
05-08-2004, 7:24 PM
The bracket is "deflecting" it is tight into the studs with lag bolts. hmmmmm.....

Jim Becker
05-08-2004, 7:40 PM
Jim, it's a pretty heavy DC. Mine "deflected" slightly from the weight, but it quite solid, especially after the inlet is connected. I wouldn't worry about it unless you perceive it to be very bouncy. If so, I'd suggest a call to Syracuse on Monday to see what they think.

John Haylow
05-08-2004, 7:42 PM
Jim.

Congratulations on the new DC system. I have the same unit and I am very happy with its performance.

I'm not sure how much your unit is out, I put a level on the top of my unit and found it is out about 1/8 of an inch form one side to the other.

I was thinking fo putting some threaded rod from the top of the unit to a mounting bracket on the joists for extra support, but I have not done so yet.

I don't think that amount is anything to be concerned about as long as the unit is not vibrating excessively.

Regards,

John

Jim Barrett
05-08-2004, 7:43 PM
I am trying to post a couple of pictures but I keep getting an error when uploading...AARGH

Jim Becker
05-08-2004, 9:11 PM
I am trying to post a couple of pictures but I keep getting an error when uploading...AARGH
Make sure they are under 100kb in size and preferably no wider than about 500 pixels. The first one is most important, however...the SMC software will not allow files larger than that. You'll need to use your photo software of choice to adjust the size/compress the files.

Jim Barrett
05-08-2004, 9:31 PM
Thanks Jim.... just figured that out, unfortunately I don't think I have any software on my laptop that will allow me to "shrink" my 700kb jpg files :mad:

JimB

Erik Rudd
05-08-2004, 10:50 PM
Jim, I had the same problem with my Oneida 2hp commercial unit. I used an eye bolt, a lag threaded hook, and a turnbuckle to true it up.

Do you happen to have the inlet and the filter both pointed toward the same direction...opposite the wall on which it is mounted?

Erik

Jim Barrett
05-08-2004, 10:58 PM
Hey Erik,

North Bend...lived out there in the late 70's....the inlet and outlet are about 90 degrees offset...I was thinking about doing something similar to what you suggest...just want to make sure that was a "normal" procedure...
Thanks,
JimB

Erik Rudd
05-09-2004, 12:26 AM
Well Jim, I don't know as I'd say that it's normal, it's normal for mine and it may well be normal for yours. I posted about the deflection of my brackets on another forum and everyone there reacted as though it was impossible...you'd have thought I was bad mouthing a Delta Unisaur :eek: ....

My inlet and filter are both on the opposite side from the brackets, that's why I was wondering if yours was in the same configuration. The eye bolt etc. made mine rock solid. I can't make it deflect in any direction using moderate force.

Have you fired that thing up yet?

Erik

Fred Voorhees
05-09-2004, 12:38 AM
Thanks Jim.... just figured that out, unfortunately I don't think I have any software on my laptop that will allow me to "shrink" my 700kb jpg files :mad:

JimB

Jim, if you read this - shoot me an email. fredjv1@earthlink.net

Jim Barrett
05-09-2004, 11:29 AM
Here is a picture I hope :) ...thanks Fred!!

Jim Becker
05-09-2004, 12:23 PM
Jim, that is NOT the same bracket system I got with my system in February. Mine is welded angle iron all the way and any deflection I have is more due to the wall than the bracket!

Jim Barrett
05-09-2004, 12:25 PM
Do you have a picture I can check out?

Thanks!

Jim Becker
05-09-2004, 12:31 PM
Not the clearest, but should give you an idication of the brackets I have...almost the same as the 1.5hp system I sold to Fred when I upgraded except just a little heavier metal with a corner brace to keep them square.

Erik Rudd
05-09-2004, 7:37 PM
I got mine in December and it has the same brackets as Jim Becker's. It didn't deflect as much as yours appears to be deflecting in the picture.

Erik

Jim Barrett
05-09-2004, 8:40 PM
Thanks for the replies. I have sent Oneida a couple of pics and will follow up with them tomorrow. I will let you know the outcome.

Thanks again!
JimB

Frank Pellow
05-09-2004, 8:51 PM
Jim I have the same unit on order for delivery in October. I hope to benefit from whatever you find out and thus avoid the problem that you appear to be having.

Steven Wilson
05-10-2004, 12:39 AM
Mine deflects some, about half as much as yours. I'm not really worried about it unless it negatively impacts the performance of the system. I would like to know what Oneida says.

Jim Barrett
05-10-2004, 2:01 PM
Just finished speaking with Oneida. They reviewed the pics I sent them and determined the bracket has a bad weld. So...they are sending me out a new one. Glad for that but now I have to talk my wife into helping me pull that beast off the wall...ugh!

JimB

Jim Barrett
05-22-2004, 7:28 PM
Received my new bracket yesterday and with help of a friend (LOML is happy) installed the bracket and mounted the DC. Much better, a little flex but acceptable. :o

JimB

Gary Sutherland
05-22-2004, 8:29 PM
In the picture, it appears that the bracket IS pulling away from the wall at the top (see the gap betwen it and the wall). Any way to add a lag into the stud higher up on the bracket?

That said, while the flex probably won't hurt anything, a unit like this should NOT be supplied with a bracket that gives like that under the weight it's supposed to hold. Call Oneida, I imagine they'll fix it.

By the way, that's a great piece of equipment. Congrats.

gary

Jim Becker
05-22-2004, 8:31 PM
Gary, Oneida just sent him a new bracket to replace the broken one.