PDA

View Full Version : no power on left side of table

Jeremy Shepard
09-09-2008, 6:08 PM
I am using a fixture to engrave anodized aluminum parts for a customer (15 parts at a time). The parts are line up next to each other left to right. I noticed that the far left hand part does not seem to come out well. Almost like the laser has no power on the left side (within the first inch of the left hand side of the table).

As I look at the parts during engraving, I notice that there is strong white light on the parts while the laser is burning off the anodizing on all the parts except the far left part. Again, like the laser is lacking power in that first left hand inch of the table.

I've been doing some reading in the forums here and I'm wondering if the table is out of level, or if the laser is out of alignment. Does this sound like the case? Does anyone suspect anything else?

My laser is a 45W Legend 24TT. I purchased it used via eBay. Does anyone know if Epilog's tech support is still helpful with second hand machines? I've heard good things so far, but have not contacted them yet. Am I correct that to get the alignment procedure I need to contact Epilog?

Thanks for any suggestions or help anyone has.

Jeremy Shepard
09-09-2008, 6:47 PM
I tried to take a picture to show the setup. It's the far left hand part that is not engraving.

I also tried to take a picture with a longer exposure to show the effect of the laser on the parts. Only the left hand part (which is 1 inch from the left edge) doesn't seem to be engraving well.

Dee Gallo
09-09-2008, 6:58 PM
Jeremy, do you use auto-focus? I ask only because I had a similar problem with a new machine, but the drop off was more pronounced on the right side. My tech told me over the phone how to test for level - move the head and measure it in various spots! Then he told me to run auto-focus and measure that. What my problem ended up being was SO simple - and stupid!

On my old laser, I had always used manual focus, with the factory-set gauge sent by Epilog. So I just continued using manual focus with the new one. When I tested the distance with auto-focus, it was exactly the correct 2". When I measured with the gauge, it was too long by about 1/8" and crooked to boot. Once I unscrewed the end and re-set it to the correct distance, the whole table lasered equally.

HTH, dee

James Stokes
09-09-2008, 7:05 PM
I would guess you table is not level or you laser needs an alignment.

Jeremy Shepard
09-09-2008, 8:43 PM
Thanks for the suggestion Dee. I think you got it.

I had been using the manual focus tool. I had the machine auto-focus to the table, then I checked it with the manual tool. The tool was off when compared to the auto focus. I set the tool to match the auto focus and viola!

I also makes me think my table is out of level if it's only happening on the right side. I checked with the tool and it doesn't seem to be. I'll have to keep an eye on it.

Thanks again!!

Mike Null
09-10-2008, 6:30 AM
If you are attempting to engrave an area near the left side rule you may find that the first half inch or so does not engrave well. That may be caused by "ramp up" of the laser in the raster mode. I recall several others having a similar problem and in some cases the only solution they found was to move the engraving further to the right.

As the others have said, check for a level table and accurate focus.

Epilog tech support will help. Epilog also has a very user friendly and useful web site so you might have a look there to familiarize yourself.

Dee Gallo
09-10-2008, 7:24 AM
Holy cats Jeremy, I can't believe I actually was able to help somebody!

I've gotten so much help from this forum and hoped the day would come when I could do the same for another Creeker.

You made my day!

cheers, dee