PDA

View Full Version : New Nova 1624

Don Carter
09-09-2008, 4:59 PM
Well, you guys were right about CSUSA. I received my Nova 1624 today and began the set up. I noticed as I unpacked the boxes that the pulleys had some rough spots on the edges and that there was some deep gouges on the switch box on top of the motor. As I looked closer, the switch box itself was cracked and broken around the on/off buttons.:eek:

I mounted the motor anyway and everything worked but I called CSUSA and talked to my contact there about the problems.

They are send out a new motor assembly today...
What a company!! :) What a lathe!!:D I think I am going to enjoy this lathe.

Here's a quick snapshot. More later when I get it set up better.

Don

Jerry Gerard
09-09-2008, 5:09 PM
I'm sure you'll love the new lathe , best of luck with it . BTW thats pretty good CS

Steve Kubien
09-09-2008, 5:14 PM
Congrats on the new toy. Make sure you tighten down the set screws which secure the pulleys, both the motor and spindle pulley. Then, after you have turned on it for a few hours, do it again. You do NOT want the pulleys to shift and it has been a problem for some (including me) in the past. This is a place for the non-permanent Loctite (blue I think but check to be sure).

Steve Kubien

Don Carter
09-09-2008, 8:02 PM
Thanks, I am really looking forward to turning something tomorrow. I will check the pulley set screws and when I get the replacement motor assembly, I will loctite them. So far, so good, except the shipping damage.

I have checked the alignment of the headstock and tail. It is right on the money.:) What are some more things that I should be looking at?

This is gonna be fun...:D

Don

Steve Schlumpf
09-09-2008, 8:26 PM
Don - congrats on your new lathe! Looking forward to seeing some of your turnings - once you get the replacement assembly!

Roman Hruska
09-09-2008, 8:50 PM
I turn on a Nova 3000, the direct predecessor to the 1624. The one accessory that I found to be very useful is the double ended Morse taper alignment pin. Packard has these available. It is basically a piece of metal with a #2 Morse taper on either end. I use it whenever I bring the late back to the standard position after having rotated the headstock. This ensures that the Headstock and the Tailstock are aligned with each other.

Here is a link to the item
http://www.packardwoodworks.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=113121&Category_Code=

Enjoy the new Lathe!

Roman

Bernie Weishapl
09-09-2008, 9:12 PM
Congrats on the new lathe. I am sure it will be a dandy. CSUSA has excellent CS.

Ken Fitzgerald
09-09-2008, 9:17 PM
Don....sorry about the shipping damage but congrats on the new lathe. Yup! Doesn't surprise me that they are taking care of you. I've always thought CSUSA was a little higher priced than some others but I don't mind paying a little more to have my needs met!

Again...congrats!

Chris Haas
09-10-2008, 8:29 PM
have the same lathe, its awesome, definetly pay attention to all nuts and bolts, about 2 months after i had mine, i checked and i'm really not sure how it held together thats how loose they were. also, if you turn larger things, you might want to start researching a lathe bench, sometimes mine wants to race me across the garage.