PDA

View Full Version : New Veritas Router Plane

Stan Smith
09-09-2008, 4:38 PM
Un Oh, can be this be another tool that I simply cannot be without? I already have one Veritas router plane that is used to make rabbet and dado cuts deeper. However this particular plane is used to remove stock from the sides rather than bottoms. Of course, I could use my wood chisels and accomplish the same thing but the control probably wouldn't be as good. is anyone currently using this tool or planning on getting one????

Raney Nelson
09-09-2008, 4:47 PM
It's not technically a router plane (router planes work the bottom surface of an excavation) - it's a side rabbet, and is much more task-specific. I've used a couple different styles of side-rabbet, and bought this one when it came out. The old record/prestons worked quite well, but the veritas works at least as well (or better) and is extremely comfortable (the Record has a tendency to dig into your palms...).

It's not a plane that I use often, and you can do the job reasonably well with a chisel if you're good. It's not very high on my list of 'first planes to buy' but if you have need of a side rabbet, I think this is the one to get. YMMV

Brent Smith
09-09-2008, 9:25 PM
Un Oh, can be this be another tool that I simply cannot be without?

Hi Stan,

Is there a tool out there that we simply can do without :D.

I have a few versions of this plane and use them infrequently, but when the job calls for it there isn't another tool that does it as well or as quickly. I find this version to be the easiest to use. Adjustments are simple and it's ergonomically easy on the hand.

Stan Smith
09-09-2008, 10:33 PM
Thanks guys. Those are helpful comments. I guess I have to get one now. Please don't tell SWMBO;)

Stan Smith
09-09-2008, 10:41 PM
can[/I] do the job reasonably well with a chisel if you're good. It's not very high on my list of 'first planes to buy' but if you have need of a side rabbet, I think this is the one to get. YMMV

Thankfully, I have a number of different planes. I've bought many of them from Pat Leach and have been quite happy with them all. Now, I'm heading to Lee Valley's website.

Stan Smith
09-18-2008, 5:45 PM
Hi guys. Got the side rabbet plane yesterday. Veritas did a good job on the design and function. It feels hefty and handles quite well. Glad I got it and thanks for the tips.

Michael Faurot
09-18-2008, 9:11 PM
I picked up one of the Veritas side rabbet planes about a month ago and just recently had a chance to really put it to use. It does work well.

As mentioned in the documents that come with it, one of the suggestions is you may want to file the points off the blades. I did indeed need to do that to get it working the way I needed it to. With the points there it made the plane harder to push through the wood as the points would dig below the depth of the rabbet.

Rob Lee
09-19-2008, 8:04 AM
I picked up one of the Veritas side rabbet planes about a month ago and just recently had a chance to really put it to use. It does work well.

As mentioned in the documents that come with it, one of the suggestions is you may want to file the points off the blades. I did indeed need to do that to get it working the way I needed it to. With the points there it made the plane harder to push through the wood as the points would dig below the depth of the rabbet.

Hi Michael,

You're correct - dealing with the points (by the user!) is absolutely necessary, and in newer versions of the instructions, we've made that note much more prominent. Every time you sharpen the blades, you will extend the points, so it's really part of the sharpening process.

Cheers -

Rob

Stan Smith
09-20-2008, 4:11 PM
Many thanks for those points (pun intended). The blade point sure does dig into the corner of the rabbet. Would be nice if that was done by the manufacturer for a dumbo like me.