PDA

View Full Version : Looking for info on New Steel City Drill Press

Eddie Darby
09-09-2008, 1:52 PM
I have heard that Steel City is coming out with a variable speed drill press. Does anyone have some more info on it?

chet jamio
09-09-2008, 2:21 PM
I called them last week and they said it should be available in November. They had no pricing yet. They told me to call back in three weeks at which time they may have pricing.

John Thompson
09-09-2008, 6:03 PM
I used it when I demo'ed for Steel City at the International WW Show in Atlanta a couple of weeks ago. It's basically the same 6" quill travel press they have had (which is excellent and my next purchase) with variable speed. I may wait on the variable as I have a drill press... just been looking for a chance to upgrade mine to the 6" travel.

Sarge..

Eddie Darby
09-10-2008, 4:24 PM
I used it when I demo'ed for Steel City at the International WW Show in Atlanta a couple of weeks ago. It's basically the same 6" quill travel press they have had (which is excellent and my next purchase) with variable speed. I may wait on the variable as I have a drill press... just been looking for a chance to upgrade mine to the 6" travel.

Sarge..

November! Thanks!

So is it a 17" model?

I like there present 17" model, except the table is lame, so was it the same simple table?

The split head is a very nice feature. Wish everyone else did this.

Brian Kent
09-10-2008, 4:47 PM
Is a variable speed based on motor speed or "gearing"? If motor speed, is an electric motor just as strong at different rpm's?

John Thompson
09-10-2008, 5:44 PM
Side by side you could tell no difference as there aren't any on the surface. The only differences are under the hood Eddie. I also spoke to Steel City about the table and that everyone wanted a differenct one. The reasoning behind the table is:

It will add cost and no matter what you come up with... not everyone is going to like it.. Others already have tables they built to their needs or have purchased them because they liked the features. So... Steel City decided to go with a standard table in lieu of a guessing game of what is best to allow you to add what you want as all of our needs are different.

Steel City basically decided to spend "their cost" in the quality and engineering of the machine and not a tricked out table that no matter how you did it.. someone would want it another way to meet their needs.

Brain...

The rpms change because the the double inverted cone shaped pulleys open and close causing the belt to move in and out to vary the speed. Same motor I do believe.

Sarge..

Brian Kent
09-10-2008, 6:20 PM
Brain...

The rpms change because the the double inverted cone shaped pulleys open and close causing the belt to move in and out to vary the speed. Same motor I do believe.

Sarge..

Thanks Sarge. I love good engineering.

Brian

Bob Durgin
09-10-2008, 7:02 PM
Doesn't that just figure. I just bought one a month ago. If I had known they were going to come out with a variable speed I would have waited. Anybody want to buy a like new drill press :rolleyes:?

Eddie Darby
09-10-2008, 9:11 PM
I also spoke to Steel City about the table and that everyone wanted a differenct one. The reasoning behind the table is:

It will add cost and no matter what you come up with... not everyone is going to like it.. Others already have tables they built to their needs or have purchased them because they liked the features. So... Steel City decided to go with a standard table in lieu of a guessing game of what is best to allow you to add what you want as all of our needs are different.

Steel City basically decided to spend "their cost" in the quality and engineering of the machine and not a tricked out table that no matter how you did it.. someone would want it another way to meet their needs.

Perhaps it would be nice if one could order the basic drill press with a choice of a 2 or 3 different tables. Might be a good marketing feature.

John Thompson
09-10-2008, 10:20 PM
If I can't get a scratch and dent Bob... I would consider it depending on where you are. But.. a scratch and dent would be my first choice as scratches and dents don't bother me in the least and they usually are a pretty good price considering they don't alter machine function.

With the price of machines on the rise (just an educated guess with the cost of cast iron and shipping rising) I believe you can get what you paid by waiting as retail prices are likely to go up IMO.

Sarge..

John Thompson
09-10-2008, 10:24 PM
I have already put a bug in their ear on the table Eddie... why don't you visit the web-site and send an e-mail telling them that many would like a more functional table. I will also mention it again.

For that matter... I wouldn't mind designing one and building it if there was enough request as Lee Styrone does with Shark Guard. Well.. if my wife will shorten her furniture wish list which is not likely soon. :)

Sarge..

dave rave
01-07-2009, 1:13 PM
According to the manufacturer, the lowest possible speed is 500rpm, which is too fast for a lot of the bigger cutters I use, including forstners and wing cutters.
I was looking forward to this drill but at 500rpm, it is a loser. The PM is also too fast at 400rpm so I guess I either need to find a used PM/Clausing, etc. or go with the 20" Delta or Laguna.
SC needs to make the range down to 200 or 250 for it to be really appropriate.

Info from SC promo sheet on SC website.

Model 20525
17” VARIABLE SPEED
DRILL PRESS
Powerful 3/4 HP Motor
Variable Speed from 500-2500 RPM
Extra Long 6” Stroke
Split Head Casting Design
$699.99
$882.35 LIST

chet jamio
01-07-2009, 3:39 PM
SC needs to make the range down to 200 or 250 for it to be really appropriate.

I use my PM on large cuts all the time. The 400 RPM is plenty slow. I regularly use 2.125" forstners. Last week, I used a circle cutter to make 6" blast gates in hardboard and 1/2" ply. Last night, I used the circle cutter to make 2.75" holes in 1" thick walnut. It always does a great job.

Are you doing something that requires slower speeds than what I'm doing? I could give it a shot on my PM and let you know how it goes.

The PM has a digital readout of the RPM. As you slide the adjustment handle towards the slow setting, the RPM readout drops real time. When you get close to the stop, the readout bottoms out at exactly 400 RPM. After that, you can still pull a handle a little bit and further reduce the speed, but the readout doesn't change. This tells me that the readout software is programmed to stop at a minimum value. My machine likely goes slower, but I can't measure how much.