PDA

View Full Version : Grizzly Shaper Cutters

Scott C. Williams
09-09-2008, 12:52 PM
I am in the market for various shaper cutters and considering Grizzly cutters. Would appreciate some feedback from those that have experience with their carbide cutters. Also which shapes have you used. Thanks

Jay Brewer
09-09-2008, 4:00 PM
Hi scott, I started out with Grizzly cutters and they are very good for the price. They are about the same price as a quality router bit. I have probably 20 of them. I have since changed out all my raised panel and rails and stile cutters to insert tooling ( Freeborne), but still use alot of Grizzly cutters for the profiles I dont use alot.

Peter Quinn
09-09-2008, 9:15 PM
I have used a few. They were sharp, well balanced, and very SMALL. The overall diameter was smaller than I like in a shaper cutter. Bad exit angle.

Check Infinity Tool for a well priced option in a professional format. Compare the cutting diameter when shopping for value priced shaper cutters. Very small cutters are often not a great value.

Rick Fisher
09-09-2008, 11:43 PM
Ditto. I have some of the Shop Fox shaper cutters. They are really small diameter.
I assume the Shop fox bits are similar to Grizzly. If not, then this is a good comparison of the Shop fox bits to the Freud.

http://i335.photobucket.com/albums/m455/jokerbird_photo/P1010225.jpg

The 1/4" Freud Slot cutter is the same size. I couldnt take a pic .. because its on the shaper.

The Shop fox bits are sharp and do a decent job. I dont think they get the right cutting speed, the Freud leaves a cleaner finish.

For the money, the Shop Fox bits are a better price. The Freud bits are $$$.. You get what you pay for. Sometimes, you dont need a $100 shaper cutter.. Sometimes you do.

Patrick Mullen
09-10-2008, 1:22 AM
I have several Grizzly shaper cutters and they always give good results. I did have an issue with a defective straight cutter that had one carbide brazed on crooked. When I returned it to the store, the clerk said he couldn't do anything since it was six months beyond the year warranty. Not bashing Grizzly, since their warranty is clearly stated, but I now buy Infinity cutters, which are similar quality, because of the lifetime warranty.

Pat

Kirk Poore
09-10-2008, 1:44 PM
I have about a dozen of them, mostly straight and roundover cutters for both 1/2" and 3/4" bores. They've given good results on my Delta LD shaper (1/2" spindle). I've used bushings for the 3/4" bore cutters. I've had no problems, even when cutting 3/4" long tenons in one pass. I have some of their spacers too, and they are a trifle under-sized. I need to add some very thin shims (made from beer can aluminum) to the spacers to get the right thickness when I'm cutting tenons.

Overall, certainly worth the money.

Kirk