PDA

View Full Version : Crosscut sled vs panel cutter

Kevin Gagne
09-09-2008, 12:45 PM
I am getting ready to make a crosscut sled and was wondering if I should make it big enough for cutting a 24" piece or do I make a smaller sled and make a panel cutter also? What size do you find works best for a crosscut sled? Do you also use a panel cutting jig? Thanks -Kevin

glenn bradley
09-09-2008, 12:50 PM
I have a large sled that will handle 38" or so. I just happened to use it yesterday. My 'regular' sled will take about 22" and I wish I had made it for 24". I then have smaller and miter sleds as well. Most of mine have replaceable inserts so I can use the same sled for various blades and dado settings. This takes a small amount of effort during the build that pays for itself in saved space many times over.

Kevin Gagne
09-09-2008, 1:00 PM
How wide are your sleds and what are they made out of? I was going to use 3/4 MDF for mine.

glenn bradley
09-09-2008, 1:28 PM
3/4 MDF will get quite heavy if the sled is of any size. It would be fine for smaller sleds IMHO. I used Baltic Birch ply. The build of the large one is here (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=50581). Features that make the sled a long term investment for me are:
- Adjustable fence.
- Replaceable blade path inserts
- Quality materials and hardware

The medium one is here (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=53569). I guess I didn't do a full post on the bevel sled (for small-box mitered side panels) but here's the one pic I have with me:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=75217&d=1195254603

Greg Hines, MD
09-09-2008, 1:57 PM
I made a crosscut sled out of 1/2" MDF for the base and 3/4" MDF doubled up for the fence. It is about 22" front to back and about 24" wide. I used UMHW for the runner, and it rides on the left side of the blade. I do not find it to be too heavy for use for relatively narrow panels, but 22" has been adequate for my needs so far. I also made a cut off support for the right side of the blade, with a cleat on the front to keep it in place for the offcuts.

Doc

rob mason
09-09-2008, 2:04 PM
I love mine:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=90694

made out of 1/2" MDF for the base and laminated 3/4" select pine for the fences. Polyurethaned and waxed (bottom only).

I dont know why I didnt build one before now...

brett gallmeyer
09-09-2008, 2:32 PM
my crosscut sled handles up to 24". i made it with 1/2" mdf for the base and laminated two pieces of 3/4" ply for the front and back stretcher. And UHMW plastic for the runners. it works great.

Bruce Wrenn
09-09-2008, 10:21 PM
I have built both cross cut sleds, and a "Norm" style panel cutter. Because of the light weight and ease of construction, I use the panel cutter the most.

Ken Fitzgerald
09-09-2008, 10:33 PM
I built a Norm styled panel cutter last winter. This past summer while building a couple of hanging cabinets, I put it to use. Why didn't I build one sooner?

I think each has its own advantages and disadvantages.

Eric Larsen
09-09-2008, 11:02 PM
I built the Norm-style panel cutter as well. As far as I'm concerned, the main disadvantage is that there is no support for cutoff. So if you're cutting a panel essentially in half (or anything flexible) the jig is not very useful. I've been using a piece of scrap the same thickness as the sled to support larger cuts. It's quick and dirty. But I haven't had a bind.

I built a Norm styled panel cutter last winter. This past summer while building a couple of hanging cabinets, I put it to use. Why didn't I build one sooner?

I think each has its own advantages and disadvantages.

Bruce Wrenn
09-10-2008, 8:17 PM
I built the Norm-style panel cutter as well. As far as I'm concerned, the main disadvantage is that there is no support for cutoff. So if you're cutting a panel essentially in half (or anything flexible) the jig is not very useful. I've been using a piece of scrap the same thickness as the sled to support larger cuts. It's quick and dirty. But I haven't had a bind.Put a cleat on the front of you support piece. This hooks the edge of the saw, and prevents it from moving with pieces being cut.

Matt Robinette
09-10-2008, 9:38 PM
I have the Incra 500 cut off sled and they addressed the support for the cut off with a section of the sled that was cut off the sled when it was first indexed with the blade or cut plumb with blade. The side support section is held to the table with T washers in the miter slot. Heres a few pics. It also makes a nice zero slot to reduce tearout.

Jerome Hanby
02-06-2009, 2:04 PM
Built mine from 3/4" mdf for the base. Single thickness Borg poplar for the front, doubled Borg poplar for the rear fence, and red oak for the runners. Through careful consideration and planning, I've managed to make it inconveniently short left to right and always an inch too short front to back:D

Next version will use something lighter for the base, the base will be at least the same size as my saw's main table, have a replaceable ZCI, and better rear protection. Maybe even a shield/dust collector!