PDA

View Full Version : 3520b waiting at the truck terminal

Pat Zabrocki
09-09-2008, 11:57 AM
Hi everyone,
I need some help. I got a 3520b before the price bump and its waiting for me at the truck terminal in St. Louis. I'm out of town on business til thursday and they say I gotta pick it up by Friday. I don't think they'll send it back but I need to pick it up and I need to be prepared. I've got a Buick Enclave SUV with plenty of room in the back, though not enough for a pallet (37" wide liftgate). I don't have access to much physical help lifting the thing. Can anyone tell me how much the heaviest piece weighs. I'm thinking I'll just get some bodies from the temp help place but I'm not sure how many bodies are needed to lift the heaviest piece. I got the cabinet saw in myself with a two wheeler so I'm reasonable physical, just need to know how many extras I need. Neighbors are no help, they don't like my noise anyway.

Pics will be on the way 'cuz at this point it hasn't really happened, right ;)
thanks
Pat

jason lambert
09-09-2008, 12:05 PM
I think the bed is about 200 lbs, the bed and motor/headstock are the two thing I would have trouble with, the rest is manageable. The motor stock is probably about 130 lbs but awarkward and fragile. One other person should do it. Or just buy a 500 lbs lift tabe like this from HF fast and you can probably do it yourself since the bed is off the ground anyhow on the palet you only need to slide it.

You can look at my thread a couple days ago and see what the packageing looks like and how itis packed if you haven't already.

Ken Fitzgerald
09-09-2008, 12:11 PM
Pat,

The heaviest part is the headstock/bed combination. I'd bet it's well at or near 400 lbs. You can take the tailstock and the head stock off the bed. This would probably get the bed down to near 200 lbs. The head stock because of it's shape, size and weight would be interesting to carry but do able. Be advised, that box on that huge pallet is full to the gills. I think it's doable and it wouldn't take maybe yourself and one other person with some strength. The leg assemblies are separate....probably around 100 lbs. each.

I moved mine on the pallet the length of my shop by myself by just pushing and shoving it. It didn't take 30 seconds that way. I assembled mine by myself. I used my Little Giant ladder as an a-frame and attached a come-along. I raised one end of the bed with the headstock on...bolted on one leg assembly. Then slid the headstock to that end and raised the other and bolted on the other leg assembly.

Good luck!

jason lambert
09-09-2008, 12:43 PM
Very creative Ken. I got everything assembled on my own excepting lifting the headstock. For that I needed two people and with my impacient fathor that just grabbed the thing and tipped it when I wasn't looking still scratched it.

Pat also bring towels and blankets this is full of oil and I would wrap the headstok / tailstock so it doesn't bang anything or poke a hole in one of your seats depending on how you pack it.

Alan Trout
09-09-2008, 12:46 PM
If you have a Home Depot near you go rent one of their trucks. They rent them by the hour and they are pretty cheap. I have used them several times on stuff that I did not want to mess my own truck up with. It is not very hard to do $500+ dollars worth of damage to a vehicle. Just one slip and you can have a pretty bad mess. Don't ask me how I know.

Good Luck and congratulations,

Alan

Pat Zabrocki
09-09-2008, 1:46 PM
Alan,
good idea, I was leaning that way and now that I know I can break this down to pieces I can handle with maybe one exception, that is the way to go.
thanks everyone, you are the reason this forum is so cool.
cheers
Pat

Gary Herrmann
09-09-2008, 2:07 PM
Pat, if you have to get the thing downstairs to your basement and are looking for help, google Show Me the Move. I think they'd charge you $100 (per hr?) for two guys to move it for you. If you meet them at the terminal, they may even load it on their truck and take it to your house - but you'd have to inquire.

I've used them in the past and was happy with them.

Another option for assembly without help is an engine hoist. I picked up a two ton hoist on sale at an auto parts store. It'll also come in handy for those big bowl blanks down the road.

jason lambert
09-09-2008, 2:13 PM
Thinking about what Ken did you may be able to pick up the end of the bed without the head stock put it on blankets on the edge of the truck/trunk then slide the headstock up to the top as a counter weight pick up the bottom and push it in. If you have some old broom sticks, pvc (someting round) you could alwas put a couple under the bed to help roll it in.

Just thinking out loud.

Pat Zabrocki
09-09-2008, 2:19 PM
I'll rent the truck from the borg. My shop is in my unfinished walkout basement (divorce isn't all bad). I can drive around back because I don't care about the grass and its a corner lot so at that point I just need to get it about 10 feet to the patio, at most. I think I can get it the rest of the way with one of the carts mentioned earlier. If the heaviest piece is 200lbs, I'm pretty sure I'll be okay.

I'm thinking Creeker day at my house friday, steaks on me and I'm golden!
Of course, the fine print reads no steak til mustard is in basement!

Pat

Mike Peace
09-09-2008, 7:10 PM
Instead of renting a truck and hauling it yourself, is paying the trucking company to deliver to your house feasible? Seems like I paid about $85 for residential liftgate service to get it delivered. When they put it at the curb I was able to use a hand truck with some help to move each piece at a time.

Scott Kuykendall
09-10-2008, 8:14 AM
You might want to check with a local towing company with a flat bed. Some will pick up and deliver thing like that.
Scott

Jim Evans
09-10-2008, 8:18 AM
We've got a company here called "Rent A Wreck". I rented a pickup truck with a lift gate on it and used that to unload my machine.
Fairly cheap as I remember, since I only rented it for 1/2 a day.

Andy Livingston
09-10-2008, 8:41 AM
You'll be fine w/ the Home Depot truck. I lost so much sleep before picking mine up at the freight yard. I just took apart the cardboard crate on the truck and carried the various components into the garage. Get a friend to help with the heavy stuff and you'll be fine. It turned out to be a lot easier than expected. Even if you are moving it to a basement. Good luck and have fun!

Bernie May
09-10-2008, 10:04 AM
Tool Nut and Osolnik must have sold a million of these mustard monsters just before the price increase. Just set mine up yesterday with a friend and a lift dolly. Very slick.
-bernie

Sean Ackerman NY
09-10-2008, 1:03 PM
Tool Nut and Osolnik must have sold a million of these mustard monsters just before the price increase. Just set mine up yesterday with a friend and a lift dolly. Very slick.
-bernie

Still running some specials boys if anyone is interested....

Sean Ackerman NY
09-10-2008, 1:04 PM
I'll rent the truck from the borg. My shop is in my unfinished walkout basement (divorce isn't all bad). I can drive around back because I don't care about the grass and its a corner lot so at that point I just need to get it about 10 feet to the patio, at most. I think I can get it the rest of the way with one of the carts mentioned earlier. If the heaviest piece is 200lbs, I'm pretty sure I'll be okay.

I'm thinking Creeker day at my house friday, steaks on me and I'm golden!
Of course, the fine print reads no steak til mustard is in basement!

Pat

I'd be there in a heartbeat if I wasn't in NY Pat.

Maybe one day, one of you guys on here can give me some turning lessons. Dying to start turning myself!

Pat Zabrocki
05-14-2009, 12:37 PM
This was in danger of never actually happening..... since I didn't post the pics.

So yes, I did manage to get the 3520b from the terminal to my basement. Rented a pickup and was able wag it around by myself. It started to rain the day I did this which was also the day I had to leave for the Marc Adams school so it had to get done. Hence the tire tracks in my back yard, oh well. Mother nature is bringing back pretty well anyway.

Wasn't too heavy, I'd guess the heaviest piece at 180 lbs or so but the head stock was awkward. Would up throwing a blanket over it and bear hugging it.

I don't think I've settle on the right spot for it yet but when I move my cyclone I think it will be perfect shifted to the right about 18 inches.

cheers and yes it really happened :)
pat

Jim Underwood
05-14-2009, 1:49 PM
Whoo Hoo! Way to go! Enjoy that new lathe.

Didn't know the PM was on special too....:(

Must be some model changes coming up for WMH toolgroup....:confused:

If you were just a tad closer, I'd have come helped! It's a bit of a drive though...

Pat Zabrocki
05-14-2009, 2:03 PM
That special was back in the fall. As I understood, Powermatic was having a price increase and I have subsequently seen this guy for $500 to $700 more.

As for the help, turned out I didn't need it but I'd rather have ten guys show up and not help rather than one that would just so we could shoot the breeze about woodworking / turning for a couple hours :)

cheers
Pat

Burt Alcantara
05-14-2009, 3:43 PM
Just so you know, you have the bed on backwards. That is, if you decide to put an upper extension on (you did get one, yes?) it will only go on the headstock end as you have the lathe set up. I did the same thing. It's not a big deal except for the tool holder, which can fit on the other end.

So far, I haven't found the need for the extension.

Good job getting into the basement. I have a similar setup but had to wiggle it around a number of tight bends. Wife helped with the headstock but otherwise it was surprisingly easy to move and assemble solo.

Good luck and have lots of fun...
Burt

Dave Bureau
05-14-2009, 4:21 PM
Just so you know, you have the bed on backwards. That is, if you decide to put an upper extension on (you did get one, yes?) it will only go on the headstock end as you have the lathe set up. I did the same thing. It's not a big deal except for the tool holder, which can fit on the other end.

So far, I haven't found the need for the extension.

Good job getting into the basement. I have a similar setup but had to wiggle it around a number of tight bends. Wife helped with the headstock but otherwise it was surprisingly easy to move and assemble solo.

Good luck and have lots of fun...
Burt

Why do you say that you can only put it on one end?

John Fricke
05-14-2009, 4:53 PM
Dave, Both legs have drilled holes, but only one of them has threads tapped.

Pat Zabrocki
05-14-2009, 5:06 PM
thanks for the info on the bed extension. I didn't get it but that doesn't mean I won't sometime. I bought this back in September before the price increase simply because I new I would get one pretty soon and this was as much bang as my bucks could go for at the time.

When I get the extension, I'll have to switch it around.

thanks
Pat

Jack Mincey
05-14-2009, 5:14 PM
You will enjoy your lathe for many years. My one piece of advice would be to position it so that you can work from the tailstock end of the lathe for hollowing out your bowls. This is one of the great things about sliding the headstock down towards the tailstock end of the lathe so that you have a short bed bowl lathe which one stands at the end of for hollowing. In my book it is the best way to hollow open forms and the only way to free hand hollow hollow forms. The headstock end can be up against a wall, but you need some room to walk around and work from the tailstock end to get the most from your PM.
Happy Turning,
Jack

Dave Bureau
05-14-2009, 5:20 PM
Dave, Both legs have drilled holes, but only one of them has threads tapped.
well I just set up and just checked it and both legs are tapped.

Pat Zabrocki
05-14-2009, 5:50 PM
You will enjoy your lathe for many years. My one piece of advice would be to position it so that you can work from the tailstock end of the lathe for hollowing out your bowls. This is one of the great things about sliding the headstock down towards the tailstock end of the lathe so that you have a short bed bowl lathe which one stands at the end of for hollowing. In my book it is the best way to hollow open forms and the only way to free hand hollow hollow forms. The headstock end can be up against a wall, but you need some room to walk around and work from the tailstock end to get the most from your PM.
Happy Turning,
Jack

thanks for the tip. I am relocating my cyclone, which right next to the lathe. That will allow me to slide it over and bascially have more space.
thanks again.
pat

Pat Zabrocki
05-14-2009, 5:56 PM
I just checked and both ends appear to be tapped. Maybe Powermatic changed that in midstream without telling anyone. thanks for the comment though, help is always welcome.
cheers
Pat

John Fricke
05-14-2009, 5:58 PM
well I just set up and just checked it and both legs are tapped.
Maybe the little chinaman gets tired and occasionally lets some slip through untapped :confused:

alex carey
05-14-2009, 6:23 PM
Congrats on the new mustard and welcome to the club, you won't be disappointed.

Burt Alcantara
05-14-2009, 7:46 PM
John was the one who spotted that for me. I'm going to use the extension as a roll-on/roll-off for the tailstock. After about 3 lifts of the tailstock, my aim begins to get worse and my arms want me to stop.

Kurt Bird
05-15-2009, 7:29 AM
Pat,
Go here: http://mustardmonster.googlepages.com/ and read the section about setup (and everything else, of course)! Welcome to mustard land!:)

Pat Zabrocki
05-15-2009, 7:45 AM
Didn't see anything about setup, could you be more specific. I'm definitely interested in reading this.
thanks
pat

Kurt Bird
05-15-2009, 11:24 AM
Pat,
I hadn't read your earlier post that you got the lathe, when I responded. My info was about initial assembly, etc. If you have the ways wiped clean and lubed, the lathe assembled, then you have completed all the setup needed. Enjoy turning on your new MM!!