PDA

View Full Version : First Pen -- Beginner's Luck!

Bill Arnold
09-09-2008, 11:08 AM
Well, I took the plunge! Got my first kits and a few other supplies the end of last week. Kept busy on other things over the weekend with LOML, but finally tried my first pen yesterday. I rescued a piece of cherry from the smoker bin, cut it to size and drilled it to make the two blanks for a slimline. So far, so good!

I had bought an adjustable mandrel and had mounted it on my lathe. I glued a spare set of tubes in my blanks, mounted them on the mandrel and pretended I knew what I was doing! http://www.penturners.org/forum/images/smilies/rolleyes.gif

Anyway, so it took me the better part of an hour! I got 'er done -- sorta. I don't yet have some of the finishing supplies I've read about, so I used a process I've used on other woodworking projects: several coats of shellac with a drop of TT Red Mahogany dye after sanding to 400 grit. Worked up to 600 grit with the coats of shellac. Not having anything else on hand, I applied a few coats of Johnson's Wax, working it with 1000 grit and grocery bag paper until I got a nice sheen.

I promise! First pen ever. Didn't blow up anything. Like I said in the title: Beginner's Luck. I'll probably blow up the next ten attempts! http://www.penturners.org/forum/images/smilies/eek.gif

OK, so here are the requisite photos. No fancy photo booth yet, but I've got a new lighting kit on order. :)

Ken Fitzgerald
09-09-2008, 11:23 AM
Nicely done Bill! IMHO...getting that slimline in the form you have chosen is about as tough a form as there is.

I'm doing 30 for the FPP right now. I have 27 that are the twins to yours in different woods sitting on my kitchen table. I have the remaining 3 blanks are glued up waiting on me. A fellow Creeker who is actively deployed in the military suggested that form for FPP pens because they will fit the the little pen pockets on the sleeves of the new military coveralls. So I use that form exclusively for FPP pens.

If you decide you want to try CA finish...got to the IAP website and view Russ Fairfield's video.

Nice first pen!

robert hainstock
09-09-2008, 11:36 AM
Looks just like my first pen. I agree with Ken, CA for the finish, and RFs video for the tutorial. TURN ON. :):)
Bob

Bob Hallowell
09-09-2008, 11:38 AM
Good job Bill, That's a darn good start.

Bob

Don Carter
09-09-2008, 12:19 PM
Looks Great, Bill. I have made a bunch of pens but the Slimline can be tough to get it right. Looks like you got it. This pen making can be addictive, be careful. All the best.

Vince Welch
09-09-2008, 1:59 PM
You are bring back some great memories! I can remember just turning one after another in the evenings and being amazed at the different smalls and colors of the woods. Looks like you did a great job! There will be good days and bad it is all fun.

Vince