PDA

View Full Version : BenchDog Router Lift

Jeffrey Makiel
09-09-2008, 12:15 AM
For owners of this lift...do you need to use the locking knob on the lift's body to lock the lift mechanism in place. The downloaded manual shown below says that you may need to do this to prevent vibration from moving the setting.

The Woodpecker and Jessem lifts have a self locking mechanism to prevent movement which is nice because one would not need to access anything below the table.

I'm curious. How important is it to lock a BenchDog lift?

-Jeff :)

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y84/Beff2/ProLift.jpg

Jim McFarland
09-09-2008, 12:49 AM
I've used mine for about 8 months and no problem with the lift slipping to this point. I do recommend using the lock when routing something like cabinet door rails/stiles where slipping would ruin the piece. I added an access door to the DC shroud so I could lock in these circumstances.

Martin Shupe
09-09-2008, 2:26 AM
Locking knob? There's a locking knob?

I guess I don't use mine.

Perhaps I should start, but I didn't even know it was there, and I have never had a problem.

Jim Becker
09-09-2008, 9:25 AM
I don't use the locking knob and have no issues with that practice...for a minute I was having a "Martin" moment and having to remember that there actually IS a locking knob! LOL

Jeffrey Makiel
09-09-2008, 2:01 PM
According to their website, if you rotate the locking knob within 30 days of purchase, a $100 rebate check falls out of the support post. :)

thanks for your help...Jeff :)

Bruce Page
09-09-2008, 2:27 PM
I've used mine for about 8 months and no problem with the lift slipping to this point. I do recommend using the lock when routing something like cabinet door rails/stiles where slipping would ruin the piece. I added an access door to the DC shroud so I could lock in these circumstances.
Jim, you have a nice looking setup, I need to do something like that with mine. How do you tilt the TS blade? It looks like the box is in the way.

To the OP, I only use the lock with large diameter cutters.

Jim McFarland
09-09-2008, 5:55 PM
<snip> How do you tilt the TS blade? It looks like the box is in the way. <snip>

Bruce - yes, the box is in the way.

I used wing nuts to attach the box to make it easy to remove when I tilt the TS blade. I also have to raise the router (7518) to near max (or remove it entirely) to allow clearance to remove the box. Operation takes a few minutes, but I don't do many beveled cuts on the TS so it hasn't been a big problem.