PDA

View Full Version : Defective Work Force storage shelf

Gene Michael
09-08-2008, 11:24 PM
I'm not sure where to post this thread, but here goes. About six months ago, I bought what appeared to be a set of well made 18" x 36" metal framed storage shelves from the orange borg. They were the type with the locking rivets (as opposed to bolts). On the 18" section of the shelf brackets, the rivets were spaced too far apart vertically. This made for a very poor connection between the two sections of each vertical support. I ended up with a nasty cut when the shelves collapsed. Returned them to the orange borg and showed the defect to a manager, who agreed the shelves were bad. I also called the manufacturer, Edsal Manufacturing of Chicago and told them of the defect. Several weeks later I was back in the borg and found a large display of these shelves on special. Asked a manager to open one so I could see if they were good or defective. He opened several. All were defective. None were pulled from the floor.

The shelf is heavily built, and without the defect would be very good. So, tried another today. Not only are the rivets on the 18" supports spaced incorrectly, the ones on the 36" supports have been changed to match.

Please consider this post a warning to use caution if you have purchased this type of shelves. The spacing of the rivets is too far and does not hold the top half of the shelves secfurely to the bottom half. If it collapses, it can cause injury.