PDA

View Full Version : Need a cart for benchtop DP and lunchbox planer

Jason White
09-08-2008, 9:24 PM
I have 2 portable tools that are still sitting on the garage floor -- my benchtop drill press and my 13" lunchbox planer. I'd like to build a rolling cabinet that will support both tools, with a drawer or two for extra storage. Space is at a premium. Anybody here build something sexy that sounds like what I'm looking for?

JW

Anthony Whitesell
09-09-2008, 8:08 AM
For the DP, I would suggest building a box cabinet on wheels that would raise the DP up and provide the always needed additional storage.

For the planer, the flip top stands are quite popular. I am building one myself. Lifting and moving the 80 pound beast is a pain in the...back. I purchased the plans from Wood Magazine Online store and made some modifications based on posts here and elsewhere. The original plans also incorporate a storage drawer.

Pat Germain
09-09-2008, 12:39 PM
I built a planer cart from leftover cedar fencing posts I had sitting in my back yard. It's just four 4" x 4"s with two crossmembers on each side. There's a top and a shelf on the bottom. I cut one of the 4" x 4"s down to 1" x 4"s for the crossmembers. I used a piece of leftover plywood for the top and the shelf. The shelf is quite handy for storage.

I picked up some very large, heavy duty casters at a local hardware salvage. This planer cart is no showpiece, but it has exceeded all my expectations. Since it has very large wheels, it rolls quite nicely. Two of the wheels lock to keep it in place.

You might consider building something simple like my cart before diving into a flip top model. After all, you're going to need the planer to do pretty much anything in the meantime. Making it twice as wide would allow room for a small DP. You can always find a use for a simple cart like this if you eventually build something nicer in the future.

Oh, and cutting the cedar made my shop smell real nice for awhile. :)

brett gallmeyer
09-09-2008, 2:39 PM
check out my drill press cart.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=87397

i also got a plan for a cart for my planner. its going to be my next shop prodject. i"ll reply with a link or a pic when i find it.

Brett g.

Chris Holder
09-09-2008, 2:44 PM
Just a thought...space is also at a premium in my shop, so I built a short stand for my BORG planer that fits under the extension table of my table saw. Works great and minimizes the lengths needed to run dust collection.