PDA

View Full Version : Half Way There!!!

Ed Sallee
09-08-2008, 8:35 PM
A while back, I posted a request in the Turners Forum.... Sort of went like this... Our daughter had recently became a judge in Brazil...we're very proud of her. I had a very large chunk of Macassar Ebony laying around in the shop for some time. After she was selected for a "judgeship", it became clear to me that she needed a gavel...I've never even pretended to be a turner. So, I solicited the assistance from the folks over in the Turner's Forum. See... http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?p=905599#poststop

Well, to make a long story short, Mr. Benjamin Dahl, a fellow creeker from Decatur, GA, took on the task....

Below is Ben's creation with a BONUS pen that he "threw in".... Awesome!!!

Now, I am tasked to make a suitable presentation box.... as soon as I settle on the wood, I'll get right on it.....so, right now, we're half way there and the baton has been passed, so to speak!

Thanks for everything Ben!
http://i302.photobucket.com/albums/nn88/evsallee/DSC06030.jpg

Ken Fitzgerald
09-08-2008, 8:41 PM
And what a fine job Mr. Dahl did too! Great looking gavel and pen.

He set a pretty high bar for you Ed! Good luck!

Jim Becker
09-08-2008, 8:59 PM
That's really excellent work from Mr. Dahl and I'm absolutely sure that the box you create to carry it will be equally awesome!

Steve Schlumpf
09-08-2008, 9:34 PM
Beautiful work! I am sure your daughter will be thrilled!

Benjamin Dahl
09-08-2008, 9:49 PM
It was a really fun project and I can say I was a bit intimidated by the beautiful wood. Having seen the fine boxes Ed makes I was just trying to make something that would live up to his high standards. I am looking forward to what he makes and have to say it was a real pleasure meeting another Creeker.
Ben

Jason Tuinstra
09-10-2008, 6:54 PM
So that's what the hammer of justice looks like. Very sweet!

Richard M. Wolfe
09-11-2008, 12:03 AM
I'm sure she'll be pleased with the gavel. a suggestion on the presentation box would be to make it from a wood native to where your daughter grew up....I'm assuming Georgia.

And then expect to have a source of some really exotic Brazilian stuff. :D

Ryan Sparreboom
09-11-2008, 12:48 AM
Ed and Ben, that is a great looking gavel. Beautiful wood and exquisitely turned.

Ed, I have see pics of a few of your boxes and I have no doubt you have the skill to build an equaly exquisite box to hold the gavel. Some nice shaped foam in the box with a nice lining (maybe velvet?) to cradle the gavel would be nice IMHO.
Keep us updated!

Ryan

Ben Davis
09-11-2008, 9:29 PM
Great story and good looking gavel!