PDA

View Full Version : Mother's Day box ...

Ron Smith ... Richmond, VA
05-08-2004, 3:20 PM
I know it isn't a fancy project ... but all I've ever done is round things out of wood. I have admired you guys that can take stock and keep it square all the way through when making something, so I gave it a shot. Here is my very first ever box ( not counting one several weeks ago that went haywire on me). They were giving a class at Woodcraft at Willow Lawn in Richmond this morning. Brian taught the class and he was great! It helped because I was the only one signed up for it because I got a lot of one-on-one lessons. The Table Saw, Bandsaw and Router were all used, and it was fun to learn more about them. The spinny thing, I have gotten down fairly well, but this is new territory for me. It's just a little 6"x 3" box, made of cherry and canary wood, with walnut splines. It was facinating to do, having always wanted to make one. I'm looking forward to making a lot more. Thanks for looking.

Ken Fitzgerald
05-08-2004, 3:26 PM
Ron,

Excellent work, wood and finish! If that's your first "Square" thing.....you've missed your calling! Your first square project puts some of my "not first" projects to shame! Great job! :D

Mark Stutz
05-08-2004, 3:29 PM
Ron,
Great job on the box. I like the ogee detail on the "top of the bottom". Iv'e never seen that done before. These little guys can be addicting! Simple and fun to make. Make great gifts, and a good way to use up small pieces. Soon you'll be looking for all those highly figured little pieces that make great tops, but aren't much use for anything else. Again, great job!!!

Mark

Jim Becker
05-08-2004, 4:02 PM
Beautiful box with a nice little accent from the bead.

Bobby McCarley
05-08-2004, 5:37 PM
A very good job Ron. I'm sure the recipient will be well pleased with the box. Keep up the good work, your off to a great start.

Bobby McCarley
Louisiana

Doug Jones
05-08-2004, 6:15 PM
Excellent work, this surely isn't your first success on flat work. There is a lot to like about it. Mostly I like the key splines on the miters. Thats always something I do on any kind of box I attempt to make. To me it just adds that little something.
If it helps, it appears that you were able to stay true to the round side of the woodworking. It looks as if you ROUNDED over the top of the box.

Ned Bulken
05-08-2004, 8:41 PM
Ron,
nice job! Your mom will love it. funny that you are 'new' to square projects, vs your spinny thing. That is an area which I haven't ventured yet in woodworking. I'm still striving to flatten out my learning curve in the shop. Boxes are my current 'thing' with a couple of kitchen cabinets and dressers in the wings. Again, the box looks great, keep it up and your lathe might just get lonely.

Ted Calver
05-08-2004, 11:47 PM
Ron,
That's a beauty!! Now to spin somethin round to put inside....

Tyler Howell
05-09-2004, 7:31 AM
Hubba Hubba! Likes it! Going to Go down right now and try some splines!

Mark Rios
05-09-2004, 10:14 AM
Nice job there, Ron. You have to make more now, you know. Nobody can make just one. :D

Daniel Rabinovitz
05-09-2004, 1:09 PM
Ron
Well it sure looks great to me.
The contrast of woods makes for an interesting piece and a treasure to own.
Daniel :cool:

Ron Smith ... Richmond, VA
05-09-2004, 6:56 PM
It was a lot of fun and something I'd been wanting to start doing. I don't have all of the fancy tools they had in class, so I'll have to adapt my methods accordingly and hope it works. Usually when I've tried something like this, the frustration sets in well before a good finished product turns out. The class showed me the patience and exactness necessary to make a nice finished piece. Thanks again for the encouragment.

Ron

Jim Ketron
05-09-2004, 11:22 PM
Great Job!! Nice box Love all the details.

Jim