PDA

View Full Version : Fine Furniture....NOT! However...

Lon LeBlanc
09-08-2008, 4:06 PM
However....this little project earned me a bunch of "atta boy" remarks from wife.

Builder's ideas for closets are uninspiring, and the organizers at the BORGS are not much more imaginitive and a whole lot more expensive than what I was able to whip out with a bit of MDF, some particle board shelving, and a bit of 1x2 stock.

As I stated in the thread title, it's not fine furniture, but the big payoff was that wife refilled my "workshop dance card" for the next few weekends!! Wahoooo!

Lon

alex grams
09-08-2008, 4:56 PM
If momma ain't happy, ain't nobody happy.

That kind of project is on my list also. Gotta redo shelving in the closet for the wife, then I get some time for my work.

Just built a hallway closet in a dead spot in the house, which got me a lot of 'atta boys' to credit towards garage time & more tools.

Jim Becker
09-08-2008, 5:28 PM
Ya know...it's still woodworking and still a fine job! And the customer is happy. Nothing wrong with that, my friend, especially that last part!

Glenn Clabo
09-08-2008, 5:45 PM
Ah...Lon...this appears to be YOUR closet. That is an indication that your wife is happy with you leaving her more space somewhere else?

Great job!

Lon LeBlanc
09-08-2008, 6:10 PM
Glenn,

Very observant. Yep, she got the Master closet a long time ago. I did a complete remod on it when we moved in....double bars, floor to ceiling shelving, slanted shoe racks...the whole enchilada. But, I have put off doing this secondary closet for a long time. Not as fancy as hers, but adequate and cuts down on clutter. A place for everything...and everything (mostly) in its place. So, now, all four closets are done...three by me and one using a BORG kit. Yep, Momma's happy!!:D

Lon

Jerry Olexa
09-09-2008, 11:13 AM
You are now indeed organized!! looks good. Nice work....And your spouse is happy

Prashun Patel
09-09-2008, 11:20 AM
Nice work. I like your corner treatment.

If I might suggest one thing: invest in new, uniform hangers. For as nice as the shelves are, I found nothing makes the ladies go 'ooooh' as much as new hangers....

David Schnegg
09-09-2008, 3:51 PM
Looking Good!

Did you paint the shelving? any problems with blocking?

John Thompson
09-09-2008, 6:10 PM
Very nice Lon. Women seem to get more excited about organizing and decorating closets than if you built a high boy... So.. do whatever it takes to stay on the good side. :D

Sarge..

Lon LeBlanc
09-09-2008, 7:07 PM
David,

I just used a matching flat off white, similar to the builder's original color...painting as I went along. Not sure what you meant by "blocking".

Lon

Steve Clardy
09-09-2008, 7:12 PM
Very nice ;)

I still have one to redo :rolleyes:

David Schnegg
09-10-2008, 9:49 AM
David,

I just used a matching flat off white, similar to the builder's original color...painting as I went along. Not sure what you meant by "blocking".

Lon

By "blocking" I meant that sticky feeling that latex paint leaves, when objects stick to the paint.

Prashun Patel
09-11-2008, 7:50 AM
If you want to make that paint job last longer, you might hit them with a coat of polycrylic.

Michael Sobik
09-11-2008, 9:51 AM
Can you please come to my house? My wife's closet actually is pretty nice, mine however is a different story. Good work!