PDA

View Full Version : Q for Rob Lee, Utilitas?

John Sanford
09-08-2008, 1:51 PM
Rob,

I see that Lee Valley recently reintroduced the spear point striking knife, but under the new brand of Utilitas as opposed to the previous incarnation of Veritas.

Can you give us the low down, the skinny, the 411 on "Utilitas"?

Rob Lee
09-08-2008, 3:05 PM
Rob,

I see that Lee Valley recently reintroduced the spear point striking knife, but under the new brand of Utilitas as opposed to the previous incarnation of Veritas.

Can you give us the low down, the skinny, the 411 on "Utilitas"?

Hi John -

The only real meaning is "Not Veritas"...

Veritas (with very few, old, exceptions) is:
1) not a copied design
2) made in North America
3) Designed by LV
4) Available for distribution to Veritas dealers

Utilitas can be:
1) an original design, or a reproduction
2) made in North America, or elsewhere
3) Designed by LV in some respect, or re-engineered

So - something like the small brass marking gauge we sell can be an original patented design, made in North America, yet be Utilitas, as we don't have the distribution margin.

Other items like the tape tip end up being made offshore, as tooling costs were prohibitive here...

The little Victor repro's were, well, reproductions - so they couldn't be Veritas...

What we really want to convey here - is that our hands are in the product to a large extent (it's not just a house brand), but there's something operational constraint that keeps it from becoming a Veritas product.

Overall - the goal is still to make things here, well, and affordably.

The striking knife switched because the US firm we were buying the blade from, switched their production overseas... same knife, same quality, but didn't fit the Veritas criteria since the country of origin changed...

You'll see the odd change from Veritas to UTW - but it will be mostly as a result of some external change (read sub-contractor!)...

There is actually a third brand in the mix - "Chestnut" - which are the skunk works projects from the guy who had my job before (who is also "Algrove Publishing")...:rolleyes::D ...

Cheers -

Rob

Bill Houghton
09-08-2008, 10:43 PM
This wouldn't be Leonard, would it?

Rob Lee
09-09-2008, 7:07 AM
This wouldn't be Leonard, would it?

Yup! :D

Actually, as of tomorrow - it's honorary Colonel Lee, of 14 Wing (I believe) - http://www.airforce.forces.gc.ca/14wing/about_us/index_e.asp

Cheers -

Rob

Bill Houghton
09-09-2008, 8:27 PM
I do wonder about this "chestnut" stuff though - as in "old chestnut?" Not giving Dad a hard time with the name, are you? Or was it his idea?

Rob Lee
09-10-2008, 7:41 AM
Hi Bill -

Nope - he picked that name!

So If you're keeping score...we have:

1) Lee Valley Tools (company)
2) Veritas Tools (company)
3) Utilitas Tool Works (brand, aka "UTW")
4) Algrove Publishing (company)
5) Chestnut Tools (brand)
6) Canica Design (company)
7) Lee Valley Holdings (company)

Cheers -

Rob

Dave Anderson NH
09-10-2008, 9:41 AM
Gee Rob, with all those names, brands, and companies I guess you now qualify as a conglomerate. Your focus has always been great though I must admit that I'm concerned that you might build a "tower" building somewhere and hide on the executive level floor with access only through 3 levels of secretaries and receptionists.:D The next time you come down to LFOD in Nashua I expect to see you in a 3 pieces suit, tie, and trailed by at least 2 yesmen.:D

Rob Lee
09-10-2008, 9:58 AM
Hi Dave -

Three piecer... that a pair of shoes and shorts....:D

No worries about insulation - I don't even have voicemail... and only screen for people trying to sell stocks...

Cheers -

Rob

Wilbur Pan
09-10-2008, 10:52 AM
Gee Rob, with all those names, brands, and companies I guess you now qualify as a conglomerate.

And if Rob would open a Lee Valley store in the U.S., then he would be a multinational. ;)

Rob Lee
09-10-2008, 11:05 AM
And if Rob would open a Lee Valley store in the U.S., then he would be a multinational. ;)

Ah - I didn't list Veritas Tools USA in there, as I figured it would be redundant...

Cheers -

Rob
(A multinational bilingual conglomerate)

John Schreiber
09-10-2008, 11:18 AM
From your "customer letter" it sounded like there was a new mark coming out for a "premium" line. I'm visualizing a low angle jack in nickle bronze with rosewood handles and some Victorian engraving or etching. Maybe some wood inlay on the screws or something and cryo treated blades.

Rob Lee
09-10-2008, 11:22 AM
From your "customer letter" it sounded like there was a new mark coming out for a "premium" line. I'm visualizing a low angle jack in nickle bronze with rosewood handles and some Victorian engraving or etching. Maybe some wood inlay on the screws or something and cryo treated blades.

Hi John -

No cryo, no bronze, no rosewood, no engraving, no etching, no wood inlay... and no teasing...:D

Cheers -

Rob

Brent Smith
09-10-2008, 1:59 PM
Ah - I didn't list Veritas Tools USA in there, as I figured it would be redundant...

Cheers -

Rob
(A multinational bilingual conglomerate)

Hold on there Rob, You're not even national yet here in Canada :(, where's our Montreal store.......... and no, I've never brought this up before:cool: :rolleyes:.

Rob Lee
09-10-2008, 5:05 PM
Hold on there Rob, You're not even national yet here in Canada :(, where's our Montreal store.......... and no, I've never brought this up before:cool: :rolleyes:.

Peut-etre un jour - mais pas maintenant!:D

Bill Houghton
09-10-2008, 11:15 PM
...and some Victorian engraving...

Like the cast iron bench legs, for instance? I could go for planes like that!

At least in my fantasy world...I can't imagine the production costs. Retail would probably have to be up there in Holteyville.

Brent Smith
09-11-2008, 5:49 AM

I guess I'll just have to console myself with the PST I'm saving :).

Rob Lee
09-11-2008, 7:08 AM
I guess I'll just have to console myself with the PST I'm saving :).

And us, with the additional audits we're not having....

Seriously - every new province brings a complete new set of rules, regs, and practices. Quebec is far more different (distinct???:D) than any other province... language laws go on top of that...

It's a big decision.

Cheers -

Rob

Brent Smith
09-11-2008, 1:33 PM
Different it is........I'm in retail myself and some of the hoops I have to jump through make me wonder every day :confused:.

Hopefully you do eventually get feet on the ground here, we really need a place like LV ( plus the fact that I just want to be able to drool over the displays :D).

Rob Lee
09-11-2008, 1:48 PM
Well - if it means I get to see the Habs play more often, that'd be a plus...:) ... especially if the Mtl fans could sing a song with more than one word in it.... (ole...)!

:)

Cheers -

Rob

Brian Kent
09-11-2008, 3:58 PM
Two years of high school French and I still had to look up words.:rolleyes:

Brent Smith
09-11-2008, 3:59 PM
Well - if it means I get to see the Habs play more often, that'd be a plus...:) ... especially if the Mtl fans could sing a song with more than one word in it.... (ole...)!

:)

Cheers -

Rob

Rob, you open a store here and I'll personally take you to as many games as you want to see! As far as the song goes....well that's one of the 'different' things about here :).

Kees Laan
09-11-2008, 6:39 PM

c'est domage