PDA

View Full Version : Cotton Fabric

Kevin C. Johnson
09-08-2008, 8:37 AM
Good Morning,
I need to pick you collective brains.
I have a customer that needs 100% cut into shapes. This is something that I have not ever done, is that possible?
I have a Universal 40 watt, no air assist.
Is it possible to do this may with the material stacked several thicknesses high?

thank you for all your comments.

Mike Mackenzie
09-08-2008, 12:29 PM
Kevin,

Yes it will work, Cutting fabric does a very good job however stacking several sheets can be tricky. You first must be sure that all layers are completely flat no wrinkles or air pockets. Remember that when you stack fabric you must use either more power or slower speeds to get through the material when you do this you have more chance of burning or damaging the fabric it also wants to somewhat weld the edges. We found that cutting smaller stacks at faster speeds yields better results and less waste.

Also if you are using the downdraft cutting table close off the top part of the exhaust and use the complete downdraft be sure to weight the top piece of the fabric so it does not move. With a good exhaust we have stacked 10 sheets and had the downdraft hold them in place.

Remember fabric can be flammable so keep a close eye on running the job.

Doug Griffith
09-08-2008, 1:14 PM
I've cut quite a bit of fabric and think you may have some fare up without air assist. Cotton tends to flare up the most. Keep an eye on it!