PDA

View Full Version : I am Numb... a day I'll never forget...lol

Rich Pritchard
09-08-2008, 6:36 AM
Hi Creeker's, I just joined the other day and this is my first post. Why Numb? I went to a small biz (woodCrafts) closing auction in a small town today, they had a nice 12" JET bandsaw I was slightly interested in(really want a 14"). Anyway, It was raining lightly and cold, hardly anyone there, and I quit at 200 on the bandsaw so buyer still got a good deal. I was going to leave, but they had a new gas weedeater, and mine just gave up the ghost. there were a couple other saws in line to sell before the trimmer, one of which was a georgeous JET tablesaw w/extended table and Xacta fence kit and the mobile base. I remember thinking, "man, thats alot of saw to build birdhouses with'...lol. Anyway, they get to it and try to start the bid at 200, no bids, 150...nope, 100...still none!!, and I'm thinking c'mon guys, quit screwing around 'cuz I know that it's what everyone came to buy and I'm in a hurry. The auctioner goes "somebody give me 50" and I scream "yeah" just to get it going and done with, some guy bids 60, I bid 70, him 80, I bid 90.. thinking I'll bid till someone else jumps in, no one does and it's 130 and I start thinking "no problem, I'd EASILY pay 300 or so for this beauty in a NY minute, but I know it'll bring 4 or 5 hundred. Well, the guy nods at 130, and I "140", his turn at 150 and he hesitates for about 20 seconds, and I start thinking "holy cr@p" lol. He finally nods Yes and I don't even wait for the auctioner and give a forceful.. "yeah" for 160, auctioner looks back at him and says... ..170 ...170.... he looks confused and nods NO!! Man, I whip my auction number outta pocket so fast and hold it in the air like it's over, and praying exceedingly that no one else bids... auctioner: anyone else? 170..170.............170........SOLD!!!!!!! I literally felt my body go numb...lol. I still can't believe it. I was afraid to look up and around, thought all the guy's there would attact me...lol.
The only thing that might have affected the price in my favor was before they got to the saws, I had taken several pic's of the Xacta fence sys. on this saw w/ my digital cam cuz I'm restoring a cool 40 yr. old table saw, but it has a crappy fence and I'm quite handy w/ metal and was going to try to make a smaller version for it. I know some guys were watching me snap pic's and prob. thought I was there to buy it at any price...lol. So here's couple pics of the fence/saw I took at the auction. Oh, and if that isn't enough, it got better still, the guy that got the band saw asked if I could help him load it, and we got to talking and he said he kinda needed a better table saw too. Long/short, I sold him my Craftsman 10" contactor for 100 bucks(what I paid/stole for it in great condition) and told him we both got screaming deals today. My son threw my "old" saw in his pickup and brought down to the guy and he helped load my Jet and we all danced and hugged...so to speak...lol.

Rich Pritchard
09-08-2008, 6:52 AM
all I got for now

alex grams
09-08-2008, 7:44 AM
man, that was a steal. I would almost be tempted to just buy a resell it on craigslist to make some $$, you could easily double your investment with that.

Jim Becker
09-08-2008, 9:14 AM
Welcome to SMC!

And congrats on your new saw. Good deal, indeed!

Steve Rozmiarek
09-08-2008, 9:19 AM
Nicely done! Quite an entrance you've made!

Mike Cutler
09-08-2008, 9:20 AM
Rich

Nice gloat on the Jet saw. I've had that saw for ~10 years and it's a good unit. It's taken everything I've thrown at it.

Once again. Nice gloat and welcome to Sawmill Creek. Pleased to meet ya'.

Dennis Peacock
09-08-2008, 9:21 AM
Welcome to the Creek bud.!!!!!

Looks like you "stole" a nice tablesaw there. Congrats!!!!!

Walt Caza
09-08-2008, 9:26 AM
Congrats Rich,
Nice score, and welcome aboard!

We look forward to seeing some of your work...
the Creek just loves pics!

Oh, and to spare you learning the hard way...
we like to tease people who make 'claims' with...
No pics, Never happened. (the pic police)

Sweet move getting rid of your contractor saw in the deal.
You're doing great, so far
take it easy,
Walt

John Thompson
09-08-2008, 11:18 AM
Right place.. right time...

Congratulations....

Sarge..

Jerry Olexa
09-08-2008, 11:34 AM
You did VERY well. Congrats and welcome!!

Von Bickley
09-08-2008, 12:55 PM
Rich,

Welcome to "The Creek"....... and you stole that saw.:)

richard poitras
09-08-2008, 2:03 PM
Welcome to the Creek ..... :)

Steve Clardy
09-08-2008, 4:30 PM
Awesome ;)

gary Zimmel
09-08-2008, 5:26 PM
Welcome to the Creek Rich

Excellent gloat....