PDA

View Full Version : Compressor Recommendations ?

Jack Clay
09-08-2008, 12:02 AM
I want to replace my oil less Craftsman 33 gallon air compressor. I can not stand the noise much longer. I am looking for recommendations on an upright 60 to 80 gallon compressor. I already have overhead pipes ran and a dedicated 30 amp circuit.

Jude Tuliszewski
09-08-2008, 12:27 AM
I have an Eaton, have been happy as a clam with it and would highly recommend them.

Steve Nouis
09-08-2008, 8:02 AM
Try and get one that the pump turns slower, it might cost a couple hundred more but would be quieter and last longer. You could build a enclosure around it, that would really help. Over here I'm lucky, have a 2 story shop with my compressor and dust collector on the bottom level. Steve

Al Willits
09-08-2008, 8:07 AM
Lot of the noise can be the intake, if you can run that outside it may/will cut down the noise.
I did that with mine and used a cartridge style filter on it.
Better filtration and less noise, also slightly pressurizes the shop, helps in spraying finishes.

Al

Jim Becker
09-08-2008, 9:04 AM
Ingersol Rand, Qunicy, etc. I have an IR 60 gallon, 3hp single stage and it's everything I could want in a quality compressor. These are a few more shekels than the units available from the mass marketers at the 'borg, but the construction and quality of components is worth the extra cost, IMHO. 'Should last longer and be easier to repair in the future, should that be necessary.

Ben Franz
09-08-2008, 10:52 AM
Northern Tool, among others, sells an I/R single stage 60 gallon vertical for $600 with free shipping (an I/R factory perk). I was going to order one for my new shop but I found a 10 y.o. I/R T30 style on the local Craigslist. It's a 2 stage with higher SCFM and a max pressure of 175. More than I need but it was an estate sale and the price was right. I/R gear is a little more expensive but you'll always be able to get parts.

Larry Fox
09-08-2008, 10:57 AM
I have the same one as Jim and -- as usual -- agree with Jim's comments. I hard-piped it over the winter and love the setup.

alex grams
09-08-2008, 11:55 AM
Jim/Larry,
As per my post earlier on the new saw and my compressor dying, I looked at the IR 60 and 24 gallon vertical units. Thought the 24gallon vert for $599 was a solid deal, but noticed the 3hp 60 gallon is the same price at $599.

I think they do this to make me feel like a fool for buying a smaller one at the same price I could get a larger one.

Looks like the 60gallon is in my future, though I would gladly jump on the 24 gallon if it were 100$ cheaper. 60 may be more than I need, but for the same price I would rather get the extra capacity.

Edit, found a CH that is in my range/price/capacity and oiled that will best suit my needs.

Justin Leiwig
09-08-2008, 2:30 PM
Just remember that the 60 gallon will run longer to fill up that big tank. Tanks are the cheap part of the compressor. The actually motor and compressor is where the money should be spent as you can see by them being the same price. The important things to remember are to get an oil filled for noise

Tom Veatch
09-08-2008, 5:37 PM
Just remember that the 60 gallon will run longer to fill up that big tank. ...

True, but the other side of that coin is that it won't run as often during operation. The greater the frequency of start/stop operation, the greater the operational expense. As long as you leave the tank charged and there aren't any significant leaks, the larger tank should be more efficient (read "less expensive") in the long haul.

Don Eddard
09-08-2008, 5:49 PM
Quincy is excellent and is about the only one left that's still made in the US. I-R has good equipment, but there have been more and more problems showing up in their lower-end product lines. Campbell-Hausfeld sells a lot of compressors, but their quality leaves a lot to be desired, especially if you're running it a lot. Eaton is one of the best bang for buck compressors, but they are assembled in the US from imported parts.

I have an Eaton 60 gal single stage that I'm very happy with. However, Eaton has recently been involved in an attempt to sue a forum owner because he refuses to remove a 2 or 3 year old post that says their compressors are made in China, even though the post in question is a quoted e-mail from Eaton themselves. This has soured some people on Eaton.

Lots of good info on compressors on the car painting and hot rod forums.

Mike Deschler
09-08-2008, 9:05 PM
Before you go out and buy a compressor, ask yourself a couple of questions. How much do I want to spend? How long will I keep the unit? What are my air supply needs? In other words, define your requirements than go out and purchase the equipment to fill them. I've gone through enough compressors over the years trying to save money and have always come up empty. When this subject comes up, I always remind folks to define what they need. As far as suppliers go, stay away from H.F., TSC for low end units, Northern Tool unless you want a quality I.R. two stage, H.D. and Lowes among others. Stick with a Qunicy, I.R. two stage, Chanpion, or possibly Eaton as they seem to get good press. I am sure there are other quality guys out there so spend some time searching car forums for some good info.

I've got an 5hp 220vac I.R. 2 stage 60gal unit and a spare 60gal reserve air tank for my sandblasting needs.

rob durfos
09-08-2008, 9:26 PM
You might try Industrial Gold Air Compressors' you can find them on the web. I looked pretty hard, bought one of his, and am very pleased.

Charles Lent
09-09-2008, 12:30 PM
Around here, Tractor Supply seems to always have the best prices on IR compressors. I saved almost $300 by shopping around for an identical model that was available in several places. Mine is an 18.4 cfm 80 gal. single stage that I got for just over $700. Take the time to shop around for the model that you want. You will save a considerable amount of money.

Charley

Stan Smith
09-09-2008, 12:52 PM
Some good suggestions here. I went through getting a new larger compressor a few years back when I had a little Emglo. I vascillated between a large 60 gal or smaller 30 gal. I knew enought to stay away from the airless ones. I bought a smaller one with a pararllel 26 gal tank, 6.5hp., with wheels. It also is belt driven. In less than a year, I discovered that I had to replace a bunch of siding on the house and was thankful for the compressor mobility. It's a PC and has held up just fine. I think that it cost around $320. Bought it on Amazon w/free shipping. As was said, you really need to determine what type of uses it will have. I only spray very seldom, but if I did a lot of spraying, a larger tank would be a must. FWIW

Jack Clay
09-10-2008, 10:19 PM
I was also wondering about used compressors. What have any of you looked for when buying a used unit? I am sure there are some good used ones out there.

Jacob Reverb
09-11-2008, 6:27 AM
Check out the Eagle 60-gal unit, it delivers 18.5 CFM with a single-stage, 3-cylinder compressor and 5hp continuous-duty motor all for $850 (though I got mine for $800 six months ago).

http://www.everyaircompressor.com/Eagle-Pump-And-Compressor-C5160V1-EAG1028.html

Jack Clay
09-15-2008, 7:55 PM
Dose anybody have DeVilbiss brand 60 or 80 gallon compressor? If so what do you think about it.