PDA

View Full Version : Plexiglas radiant

Jackie McGowan
09-07-2008, 10:54 PM
Does anyone know if Plexiglas radiant can be laser engraved? It's not a mirrored acrylic but it says that it gives mirror-like reflections? Looks like cool stuff. Almost looks dichroic. If anyone has ever worked with it please post experiences.

http://www.maizey.co.za/index2.php?option=com_docman&task=doc_view&gid=312&Itemid=235

Rodne Gold
09-08-2008, 2:01 AM
It can be engraved as well as cut , we use it a lot.
Makes for attention getting point of sale stuff and small items like charms and shapes and is great for costume jewellery.
Best used if the item moves as it then reflects (and transmits as well) different colours of light.

Jackie McGowan
09-08-2008, 8:19 AM
Thanks Rodne. Just what I needed to know :)

Bill Morrison
09-08-2008, 11:29 AM
Rodne, I have a 30 watt laser. When I cut the radiant and it is a small piece it delaminates. The last time I cut any was when I was making snowflakes so that tells you how often I use it and since I had such a hard time I quit using it. I'd like to be able to make something with the material I have left. It isn't cheap.

Thanks
Bill

Rodne Gold
09-08-2008, 12:09 PM
Is it the Degussa product you are using?
We both cut and engrave it from the non coated side , leaving the covering on the coated side and have had no problems with it delaminating. We have cut VERY small shapes from it with no problem either , small teeny anaimals to go on charm bracelets and small (1cm x 1.5cm) earring danglers etc. We used huge masses of the stuff to form the outer edges of a 600mm diameter "dreamcatcher" that went into a restaurants national chain , about 500 of em , also no hassles.
It is an extruded product so engraving isn't as nice as the cast , but it is acceptable.
We can also heat bend it quite succesfuly in very sharp radii.
The best use of this product is decorative where movement in all planes is involved. Movement in one plane generally limits the colours it displays.
It is also best to have it in bright surroundings or at least have a light directed to it.
Would make ideal shop window displays.