PDA

View Full Version : Ball ornaments while I'm at the decorating thing

Leo Van Der Loo
09-07-2008, 10:48 PM
Here are a few more of the ornaments I did turn, hope they give you some inspiration :D

Terry Achey
09-07-2008, 11:23 PM
Wow, Leo! Very inspiring. Thanks for sharing your creativity.

Terry

mike fuson
09-07-2008, 11:23 PM
Very Nice Leo, and yes they are inspiring. I have done a couple of these lately, not as good as yours though.

Steve Schlumpf
09-07-2008, 11:42 PM
Nice variety of ornaments Leo! Really like the different woods!

earl timmons
09-08-2008, 12:28 AM
Leo, I am aware that the metals you used in the first ornament can be turned on a wood lathe with high speed steel tools. I have done simple things like ferrules on tool handle from plumbing couplings. But I never would have thought to attempt the level of turning you show in these ornaments. Is that how they were turned or do you have a metal lathe to.

By the way I think they are all fantastic.

Like a lot of people I got into turning as a hobby and quickly moved to faceplate work and never really became a good spindle turner. I am going to attend a day demo and a day class with Alan Lacer in Nov. When I get back I think I will have to try some ornaments. Christmas will be just around the corner.

If you were hoping to inspire you done good.

Jim Becker
09-08-2008, 8:52 AM
I can see it's getting to be "that season"...lots of ornaments going on right now. Nice work, Leo.

Leo Van Der Loo
09-08-2008, 12:07 PM
Hi Earl, thanks for the comment and ?? :D.

The icicles and hanger end were turned with wood turning tools, but on a metal lathe, as that is my main woodturning lathe, I do also use a Delta Midi.

The biggest thing with turning metal is speed, a lower speed does help a lot even though the alluminium and brass is turned at higher speeds, the other thing is I come with a metal working background/experience it also helps here.

The copper ball is made from two halves that I spun on my lathe, also the reason for the Mulberry ring,as the halve spheres sit in a groove (CA glue)

Yes lessons will always help I suppose, though I've never had a lesson in my live for wood turning, had to learn it all the hard way :)

Here's some pictures of my lathe.
http://homepage.mac.com/l.vanderloo/PhotoAlbum25.html

earl timmons
09-08-2008, 9:55 PM
Thanks for the answer Leo. That is a very interesting lathe setup. I would not know where to start with something like that.

Nice pile of rough outs to, you are way ahead of me.

As for the lesson it will be the first time I have taken one as well. Will see what I think afterword.

Leo Van Der Loo
09-08-2008, 11:36 PM
Hi Jim, thanks, yes you know it seems we are always late with those things for that time of year, there will always be things to be done we just forget about and all the others we do think about will always take longer than we thought/hoped :eek: ;-))
So maybe while we can we should :D :D