PDA

View Full Version : The good and the bad (tool gloat)

alex grams
09-07-2008, 10:46 PM
So, after my wife made the comment of 'get the hot-dog saw', I had no choice and HAD to get the sawstop to appease her. (as usual, the 'no pics no proof' obligatory pictures are included). The delivery guys were VERY nice and hung around while I opened the box and inspected it and said 'well we are already here, so might as well help you load it on the mobile base'. Awesome help and act of genorisity. Seeing how this thing is built I would kill myself trying to walk it onto the base from its pallet myself. It was a chore with 3 people, but moved like a cloud on its mobile base.

Ok, so the bad (as mentioned in the title) was the compressor died on me tonight. I had the 19 gallon husky from the BORG for about 1.5 years, and already had to get the starter replaced once, now it is out of warranty. Needless to say I will NOT be buying another piece of husky machinery. It was enough of a pain sitting for 2 weeks without a compressor the first time it died. This is going to craigslist and getting replaced with a new better one. Just going to put off the dust collector a little more I suppose.

And in reference to the pictures, the big box shelf behind the saw is getting torn out and replaced with a nice drawer cabinet for lots of storage and to give me more floor space.

Plans are to add a router table extension wing to it soon, either on the left or right (haven't fully decided) I want cast iron/steel extension wing to eliminate sag like the benchdog, but would have to get one custom made (getting quotes from qulitygrinding, so hopefully that turns out a decent price). The right extension wing is pretty solid and may get a lift put into it, but I would rather get a nice solid extension wing with a slot for a lift machined into it. Time will tell. Still have to decide on which lift, I like both the incra and the benchdogs and good things have been said about both.

The saw cuts great and runs smooth as heck. Very solidly built and made

Now to make some more sawdust

CPeter James
09-07-2008, 10:52 PM
That was a "bank robbery"!!!!!

Christopher Fletcher
09-08-2008, 12:21 AM
Very nice buy Alex! On an aside, how do you like your grizz BS?

Paul Gatti
09-08-2008, 12:51 AM
Nice saw... congratulations! :D:D

Greg Cole
09-08-2008, 9:07 AM
Looks great Alex.
Where's the obligatory sawdust???? I offered to help ya assemble it... though the drive is a wee but on the long side. Some of these delivery guys are helpful others are just fishing for a Jackson or 2...:rolleyes:
Sorry to hear 'bout the compressor. I'd love to have a big one like that in the shop for spraying with my conversion gun, I have to load up projects and move them to the shop at the day job for spraying & moving them back is nerve wracking (so is having a newly finished piece in an industrial shop!!). I almost bought a blue Borg open box special but managed to talk myself out of it.

Cheers.

Greg

Jim Becker
09-08-2008, 9:11 AM
Congrats on the saw. Bummer on the compressor. Stuff happens.

Oh, I don't recall your actual DC status, but I believe you want something hooked up to the blade shroud on the SS to extract the dust to avoid clogging...

alex grams
09-08-2008, 9:25 AM
Christopher, The band saw runs great and smooth, very happy with it. It is the G0513x2, and I believe Greg Cole could give you a testimonial on it also as he owns one too (as I am sure MANY Creekers also own this model).

Jim,
Currently I have the ol' shop vac with trash can lid separator is hooked up to equipment when I run it, though this will need upgrading. On heavy dust applications I run an overhead filter and use a mask and also open the garage and turn a big fan on. It is not the most ideal scenario (especially when the sun beams in through the garage door opening and cooks me), but keeps the dust safer and manageable. Most likely the 2hp grizzly canister filter G0548 ( http://grizzly.com/products/2-HP-Canister-Dust-Collector/G0548) is in my future by the end of the year. I had planned on getting the DC instead of the saw, but when the wife said get the saw, who was I to argue?

Hopefully a workbench the same height as the saw will be on the project list soon. A nice solid chunk of wood for the top and a little storage down underneath. Just have to finalize the design of the bench.

Stuff happens on the compressor. I guess for the life of it as much as I used it, 10$/month isn't a huge price to pay, though the next unit will certainly be an oiled model.

Gotta get my router table set back up on the wing of the saw:(

SO MUCH TO BUY, SO LITTLE TIME! (and money)

Jerome Hanby
09-08-2008, 9:30 AM
Not sure about the opening size you require on the CI router table extension, but I've been hunting one that would handle a digital smart lift and was totally out of luck until I talked to Peachtree. They have a new one that will be available in October with the correct insert opening size! Best part is that Peachtree bases their shipping charges on cost of the item, not the weight. Assuming it sells for about the same price as their current models, shipping will be about $20!

Plans are to add a router table extension wing to it soon, either on the left or right (haven't fully decided) I want cast iron/steel extension wing to eliminate sag like the benchdog, but would have to get one custom made (getting quotes from qulitygrinding, so hopefully that turns out a decent price). The right extension wing is pretty solid and may get a lift put into it, but I would rather get a nice solid extension wing with a slot for a lift machined into it. Time will tell. Still have to decide on which lift, I like both the incra and the benchdogs and good things have been said about both.

The saw cuts great and runs smooth as heck. Very solidly built and made

Now to make some more sawdust