PDA

View Full Version : Open Stave Ribbon

Richard Madison
09-07-2008, 8:54 PM
Guess y'all are tired of my open stave stuff, so this may be the last one. Time to do something different, after the tablesaw gets its new bearings.

Some walnut scraps, some pecan from Peter Hawkins, some knowledge and inspiration from Malcolm Tibbetts.

Chapter 16 says that a good name for a piece is important, and this one is called "Glimpses", as one sees glimpses of the background through the openings.

BTW, my previous ribbon has been renamed, as the original name was a poor choice. Comments welcome, and thanks for looking.

Robert McGowen
09-07-2008, 9:29 PM
You must have a lot of patience Richard. Nice job. I hope this one finds a good home also! ;)

Bernie Weishapl
09-07-2008, 10:08 PM
I agree with Robert. I wouldn't have the patience for that. Well done on a beautiful piece.

Steve Schlumpf
09-07-2008, 10:21 PM
Looks pretty good! I give you credit for thinking something like this up - and then figuring out a way to create it!

Richard Madison
09-07-2008, 10:45 PM
Thanks guys, but please no credit to me. Malcolm "thought up" the ribbon form a long time ago, and after seeing his exquisite "Bill's Ribbon" on WoW it struck me to combine the open stave stuff I was doing into a ribbon form. Was hoping someone would like the name.

Jim Becker
09-08-2008, 8:49 AM
I assure you that NOBODY is ever tired of seeing any of this wonderful work. Post all you can!

This is a very interesting piece in how you combined the ribbon with the open construction. Beautiful.

Richard Madison
09-08-2008, 6:56 PM
Thanks Jim. I appreciate your comments.

Curt Fuller
09-08-2008, 8:31 PM
The whole ribbon, curve process is just something I can't quite wrap my brain around. It sure makes for some interesting pieces though. You should build an open staved stand for this to suspend it for display. Thanks for posting, I'm another that never tires of seeing beautiful work.

Keith Burns
09-08-2008, 8:35 PM
Richard, this is really cool ! Someday I would like to try one. Great work.

Richard Madison
09-08-2008, 10:21 PM
Thanks Curt. I'll keep that idea in mind for a stand, as I'd like to make one that stands up vertically, and it won't do that on its own. This one is a simple form made from three 45 degree, bottomless cones, cut in half and reassembled in different order. You could try it with solid bowls/cones. They do not have to be stave construction.

Thanks Keith. Will look forward to seeing yours. Bet it will be great. And congrats on getting the cover photo spot on WoW. Have been an admirer of your work since I first saw it.

Malcolm Tibbetts
09-09-2008, 1:22 AM
Richard, you've created a pierced ribbon without doing any piercing – neat trick, nice work. I really get a kick out of seeing others pursue this ribbon technique. I encourage anyone to give it try. You might surprise yourself – it’s not that tough.

Richard Madison
09-09-2008, 11:12 AM
Thanks Malcolm. I appreciate your reply. Guess one could call it "poor man's piercing".

curtis rosche
09-09-2008, 4:39 PM
thats awsome