PDA

View Full Version : import drill press from ebay

Kevin Groenke
09-07-2008, 7:12 PM
Does anybody have any thoughts on this drill press?

EBAY item number 130198331425

I'm shopping for a variable speed machine, since the PM has been poorly reviewed and the Delta is MIA, I'm looking at other alternatives. I've been waiting for the right used Clausing, PM or other to come along, but it hasn't happened. I may wait for the Steel City, but for ~$500 this one might be worth a try.

The 3.5" stroke is real shortfall, will the SC be 6"?

Thanks in advance.

-kg

Pete Bradley
09-07-2008, 7:27 PM
Could be anything, but I'm betting it would be a disappointment. Machines from the far east vary greatly in quality. I'd want to see it before buying a no-name brand.
Pete

Jeffrey Makiel
09-07-2008, 7:29 PM
Wow. That's a brute. But it looks more for metalworking because the high speed is only 1600rpm. That's quite a bit too slow.

I'd be skeptical of its quality though.

-Jeff :)

chet jamio
09-08-2008, 7:59 AM
I'm in the same boat as you. I've had a Delta 20-950 on order for months, and I learned last week that ETA is pushed out to January. Based on the history of this product, I'm doubtful they'll meet that date.

Last week, I called Steel City about their new variable speed drill press. They told me it would be available in November and to call back in 3 weeks to get pricing.

I did find a place that said they could get a Delta 17-968 at my door in 1-2 weeks. I didn't think they made these anymore, so I'm skeptical of their quote. The price was $492 delivered.

My last resort is an off-brand like the one in your orignal post. The speed is lacking in both the low and high range, but the rest of the specs look good. I'm worried about the quality.
http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_200365433_200365433

My current plan is to wait for the Steel City pricing, and then decide between it and the Delta 17-968.

Eddie Darby
09-08-2008, 3:30 PM
One thing to consider is customer support.
================================

If Delta screw-up the New Released UniSaw like they did the drill presses, then they might not be around very long. IWF 2006 was the introduction of the New DP's.

I like the future of Steel City Tools since they seem to be able to deliver what they promise.

Jack Vines
09-08-2008, 3:34 PM
That's a low-quality machine shop unit not really suitable for woodworking. If you notice the quality of your machinery every time you use it, you'd hate it.

Keep looking longer and harder. There is good old arn out there. Check craigslist daily. Go to auctions. Run wanted ads.

thnx, jack vines

scott spencer
09-08-2008, 4:05 PM
$500 seems like alot of money to buy an unknown off-name brand site unseen with no customer service support. There's no way I could do it. Cant' help but think HF, Grizzly, or Northern Tool would have something suitable for less/same money that offers some recourse in case of a problem.