PDA

View Full Version : New headphones -- ordered, review coming...

Eric Larsen
09-07-2008, 6:44 PM
I don't normally like to be the first to buy stuff. I also don't like to pay full price.

But I want to listen to music while I work. I also want noise reduction. And I hate wires.

My Bose QC2s do two of the three quite well. But I REALLY hate wires. I also think dangling wires are dangerous in a shop.

Sooooo... HP released a set of noise-cancelling bluetooth headphones in July, and they're just hitting the stores now. I can't find a review, at all. But I'm buying them from an outfit I trust, so I'm basically just gambling $18 in shipping charges.

I'll post a review as soon as they arrive.

Here's the item:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/531626-REG/HP_Hewlett_Packard_GW470AA_ABA_Noise_Cancelling_Bl uetooth_Stereo_Headphones.html

(Best price I could find, and I've done business with B&H dozens of times without a hitch.)

Bruce Page
09-07-2008, 7:00 PM
Eric, it will be intresting to hear how you like them. I love my QC2's but you're right, the wires can be a pain.
I found it intresting that the HP's are actually lighter than the Bose too.

Brandon Shew
09-07-2008, 8:38 PM
I don't normally like to be the first to buy stuff. I also don't like to pay full price.

But I want to listen to music while I work. I also want noise reduction. And I hate wires.

My Bose QC2s do two of the three quite well. But I REALLY hate wires. I also think dangling wires are dangerous in a shop.

I used to use my iPod in the shop w/ a pair of Shure in the ear phones. I always had the iPod in my back pocket and I ran the wire up inside my shirt so it didn't get in the way.

They sounded great and provided good noise reduction, but my wife scared the $#!+ out of me one day while I was using the band saw and couldn't hear her w/ the phones in. I was lucky that I didn't get injured. Now I use my iPod with my stereo amp and I try to remember to lock the door when I am running tools.

Geoff Potter
09-07-2008, 8:41 PM
I ask my wife to flick the lights to get my attention when the machines are running.

Howard Acheson
09-08-2008, 9:27 AM
One thing to keep in mind is that most of the current crop of noice-cancelling earphones are designed to attenuate the frequency of jet engine noise. You might want to check the frequency range and attenuation to be sure that they do the job on the frequency of noice generated by woodworking tools.

rob mason
09-08-2008, 10:25 AM
I ask my wife to flick the lights to get my attention when the machines are running.

Same here. My wife scared the bejeezus out of me while I was operating the table saw by tapping me on the shoulder. Once I calmed-down, I explained that we both could have been seriously hurt. She now flicks the lights to get my attention - works much better!

Michael Hammers
09-08-2008, 10:38 AM
I have a pair of the noise cancelling muffs I got from Woodcraft about 8 years ago. They cancel out 82db and above me thinks..I love them but they did not take abuse so well, the noise cancelling part has long stopped, now they are just fancy looking ear muffs.
I now have the little Bosch jobsite radio and run my Ipod thru it.

Greg Narozniak
09-08-2008, 10:53 AM

That has worked the best for me, as long as she does not shut them off all together :)

Eric Larsen
09-08-2008, 11:41 AM

I don't want LOML even flicking the light switch. If my wife hears any power tools in use, she waits. The only reason she'd open the door is something major like a fire or a plumbing emergency.

Show LOYL a youtube kickback video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sVpGi85HfnY) and Marc Spagnuolo's shop safety video (http://thewoodwhisperer.com/episode-50-what-if/). That'll take care of most interruptions.

Eric Larsen
09-16-2008, 9:25 AM
I'll post again after a couple weeks use, but my first impression is that this is a fantastic piece of equipment. The sound quality isn't "audiophile." But I'm using the headphones in a workshop, not in a listening room.

I'll be comparing them to my Bose QC2 headphones.

Fit & Feel: Bose

Perhaps it's because I'm used to having QC2s on my ears six hours a day, but the Bose feels slightly more "natural" than the HPs. (Keep in mind, I've been wearing the HP for the grand total of about one hour.) The HPs aren't uncomfortable, per se, just different.

Noise Reduction: HP

Big surprise. I thought Bose would OWN HP in this aspect. Nope. Because of the "over the ear" styling of the HP, there's less ambient noise to begin with. The Bose "on the ear" style lets a lot of noise in unfiltered.

Sound reproduction: Bose

When you plug the Bose into a MP3 player, the sound quality is good (not excellent). The HPs are SLIGHTLY less hi-fi. Neither one of these comes close to a Grado or high-end Denon. But for playing MP3s (which are the McDonald's $1 cheeseburger of sound reproduction), either one will do.

I listen to mostly jazz and "yacht rock," so I don't push the envelope of bass. Most people prefer more bass than I do, so I listened to some Led Zeppelin so I could report. Bonham still sounds to me like he's beating on his trap with a pair of tree trunks, but this, too, was decent reproduction.

I'll need to revisit sound quality, as there is a break-in period with headphones.

Convenience: HP - (Yes, Bluetooth works -- with some caviats.)

The little Bluetooth dongle linked with the headphones easily enough. HP should have made it clearer when link-up was successful. The two devices just flashed at each other. I was about to turn everything off and try again when the flashing stopped.

I plugged the dongle into the audio-out of this computer, fired up "The In Sound From Way Out" and pressed "play" on the right headphone. The default volume is too loud. The controls are conviently large and soon the funk was at an acceptable level.

If the headphones are in the same room as the dongle, sound reproduction is quite good. As distance and number of walls increase, the music will pause, stutter, and even speed up to "catch up" to the player. For me, that's unacceptable. I'd rather listen to nothing than listen to a bunch of stutter. So the music source will need to be in the workshop. It can be tucked out of the way in a relatively dust-free area, But you'll want it in the same room.

Both the dongle and headphones charge from USB cords. The set comes with a y-shaped, 2-USB cord that simply plugs to the wall for computer-free charging. This also means that I've got YET ANOTHER CORD to bring with me when I travel.

I suppose I prefer this to the QC2's method -- remove a little "easy to lose" battery from the headphones and plug that into a small "easy to misplace" charger, then plug THAT into the wall.

Summary:

In all, the HP works as advertised. Noise cancellation is good (but still more suited to airplanes than a workshop). Sound reproduction is acceptable, and very, very convenient.

I suppose that since the headphones are bluetooth, they could sync with a cell phone. But since there is no microphone, conversations would be one-sided. A mic-in plug should really be included in future models.

The convenience of being able to plug the dongle into any device that has a 3.5mm jack cannot be overstated. This works equally well with an iPod, portable radio, laptop computer or stereo amplifier. I'm guessing airlines won't let you use bluetooth in-flight, so a cord is included for non-bluetooth listening (like the QC2).

Really can't go wrong for $110.

Eric Larsen
09-16-2008, 10:48 AM
Here's a shot of the HP Bluetooth and the Bose QC2s, with their accessories:

http://img149.imageshack.us/img149/5976/dsc2914nz0.jpg

Bruce Page
09-16-2008, 2:00 PM
I already the Bose QCII’s that I use for travel, the Logitech NC that I use for shop & yard work, hmmm, it sure would be nice to go cordless. :cool:

Thanks for the review

Eric Larsen
10-21-2008, 2:08 PM
The headphones lasted less than a month. They have cracked at the top due to the stress of being on my head. (I don't think my head is all that big. Others may disagree. ;))

The plastic strip connecting the two phones is less than 1/8" thick and failed at the top. This seems to me to be a complete design failure. Even if HP replaces the headphones, I believe the new headphones will simply fail after one month.

I have emailed HP. Their website does not even recognize the product. This does not bode well. Their automated support line doesn't even offer "headphones" as a service option, so that too is useless.

They were good while they lasted, but until this issue is resolved, don't pull the trigger...

Porter Bassett
10-21-2008, 4:16 PM
I enjoy listening to audio books while I work. I hang my mp3 player from a lanyard around my neck underneath my shirt, and the earbuds come up from underneath my shirt. When I'm working with power tools, I wear over-the-ear hearing protection which allows me to continue to listen to the audio book.