PDA

View Full Version : acrylic sheet frosted one side?

Jackie McGowan
09-07-2008, 3:12 PM
Hi All,
Does anyone know who sells 1/8" acrylic sheet frosted on one side only? I think they are calling it arctic ice. I see delvies offers two different translucent whites I was wondering if one of those is it? Any help would be much appreciated :)

Larry Bratton
09-07-2008, 5:46 PM
Hi All,
Does anyone know who sells 1/8" acrylic sheet frosted on one side only? I think they are calling it arctic ice. I see delvies offers two different translucent whites I was wondering if one of those is it? Any help would be much appreciated :)
Is this what your looking for ? http://www.piedmontplastics.com/prodtype.asp?ID=4&TYPE=485

Mike Hood
09-07-2008, 8:29 PM
Ask for P95 acylic. It's matte finish on one side.

Jackie McGowan
09-07-2008, 9:40 PM
Thanks to both of you, I think the P-95 is too transparent for my application though, not sure about the Crystal Ice. I did see the satinice too and I think this may be what I need. I guess I'll have to see if I can get some swatches. I'm looking to make a lantern/light with led inside. I want it to let the light through without actually seeing the light source. But I also want to be able to raster engrave the outside, so I need a clear acrylic with a satin on one side.... I think. and I need it in 18" x 24" sheets.

Rodne Gold
09-08-2008, 2:07 AM
Your easiest solutions are
1) Sandblast one side
2) Buy frosted sign vinyl and apply it to regular clear pex after you have engraved and cut (best solution imho)

Keith Outten
09-08-2008, 3:49 AM
Jackie,

I second Rodne's suggestion about using the frosted sign vinyl, it would work perfectly in this situation.

Mike Null
09-08-2008, 6:44 AM
Rowmark makes a very good looking frosted.

Belinda Barfield
09-08-2008, 9:02 AM
Jackie,

I believe Regal Plastics has what you are looking for, if you still want to purchase the material "pre frosted". www.regalplastics.com (http://www.regalplastics.com)

Mike Hood
09-08-2008, 11:15 AM
The "Frosted" acrylic is much more opaque than the matte finish. Either sounds like it would well for defusing light in your project.

Doug Bergstrom
09-08-2008, 4:41 PM
We make ours with an orbital sander and 320 paper. Looks great!

Jackie McGowan
09-08-2008, 7:17 PM
Wow it never crossed my mind to sand the acrylic! I may try that first :)Alot of great info from all... Thanks

Larry Bratton
09-09-2008, 8:25 PM
Thanks to both of you, I think the P-95 is too transparent for my application though, not sure about the Crystal Ice. I did see the satinice too and I think this may be what I need. I guess I'll have to see if I can get some swatches. I'm looking to make a lantern/light with led inside. I want it to let the light through without actually seeing the light source. But I also want to be able to raster engrave the outside, so I need a clear acrylic with a satin on one side.... I think. and I need it in 18" x 24" sheets.
Jackie:
If your were to order the Satin Ice from Piedmont Plastics, they will cut it to size for you. At least they do for me on other acrylics. I buy full sheets and they make 5 pcs 36x24 with some drops for me, no additional charge.

Eric Allen
09-11-2008, 12:48 AM
You could bond the stuff from Home Desperate onto thicker material. I haven't gotten to play with it, but I think one of their fluorescent light cover materials is called arctic ice or something similar. I was just thinking of running down there to get some for ornaments, trying to get a jump on Christmas this year instead of lagging like usual:)