PDA

View Full Version : Dado blade - Chipper teeth chipped on one

Craig D Peltier
09-07-2008, 1:32 PM
Hi I have the freud stack dado blade 8 inch set. I chipped two teeth on the 2 tooth 1/8" chipper while blade was spinning. I ordered a new one off of amazon. My question is , when I get this new one shall I have the set all reground so there all the same height or does it not matter? The dado set has been sharpened once 2 weeks ago but was very dull before the sharpening.So if it needs to be reground I hope thye can just match the one to the others.Cost $54 to have a $90 set sharpened.

Thanks

Bob Rufener
09-07-2008, 1:39 PM
Good question. My advice would be to try it and see what the cut looks like. It may be so minor that sharpening wouldn't be necessary. My first dado set was a Delta stacked set. I lost a tooth on a chipper blade. When I contacted customer service about purchasing a new chipper, the rep sent me a brand new dado set. I was flabbergasted. I have since upgraded to a Freud dial a width but the Delta set served me well over the years. I wonder if Freud would have done the same???

glenn bradley
09-07-2008, 3:06 PM
Unless you hit something, Freud will probably fix it for you.

scott spencer
09-07-2008, 3:34 PM
Unless the other chippers have been sharpened, the replacement should be identical, other than likely being sharper. You could also still use the set with one less 1/8" chipper.

Craig D Peltier
09-07-2008, 6:20 PM
Good question. My advice would be to try it and see what the cut looks like. It may be so minor that sharpening wouldn't be necessary. My first dado set was a Delta stacked set. I lost a tooth on a chipper blade. When I contacted customer service about purchasing a new chipper, the rep sent me a brand new dado set. I was flabbergasted. I have since upgraded to a Freud dial a width but the Delta set served me well over the years. I wonder if Freud would have done the same???
I guess thikning about it that one chipper will be slightly higher, thus giving it a deeper cut unless measured depth off of that tooth. I will compare them side by side and make a decision. Thanks

Bruce Wrenn
09-07-2008, 9:42 PM
Carbides can be replaced. They are called tips in the industry. If you add a new piece, then all will need to be sharpened to get them to the same height. I would contact Dynamic Saw (dynamicsaw.com) and see what they would replace teeth for and sharpen the set. They charge less than $3.00 to replace a tooth. So that works out to about $6.00 plus sharpening charges. Return the chipper to Amazon.

Craig D Peltier
09-08-2008, 3:33 PM
Carbides can be replaced. They are called tips in the industry. If you add a new piece, then all will need to be sharpened to get them to the same height. I would contact Dynamic Saw (dynamicsaw.com) and see what they would replace teeth for and sharpen the set. They charge less than $3.00 to replace a tooth. So that works out to about $6.00 plus sharpening charges. Return the chipper to Amazon.

I contacted my local company Eastside Saw after you wrote this. They will replace tips for 5 each but then need to sharpen whole set for another $54. Im going to try and make due to what I have left in chippers and buy a new set soon. I need to do some research on a good set.I liked the freud 8" stack buts its the only one I have had.

Bruce Wrenn
09-09-2008, 10:42 PM
Using Dynamic's price list, I come up with the following; Sharpen two outside cutters- $8.50 each, sharpen chippers $3.50 each, replace tips- $2.80 each. Assuming five chippers, and two bad teeth, that works out to a little less than $40.00 and freight. Half the cost of the Freud SD-208.

Yuchol Kim
09-10-2008, 1:11 AM
I used a set of Freud $99 dado with 4 chipped tips for 2 years with good results. I never felt to replace them. Give it a go and see if it's even an issue for you.

Craig D Peltier
09-10-2008, 10:07 AM
Using Dynamic's price list, I come up with the following; Sharpen two outside cutters- $8.50 each, sharpen chippers $3.50 each, replace tips- $2.80 each. Assuming five chippers, and two bad teeth, that works out to a little less than $40.00 and freight. Half the cost of the Freud SD-208.
Yes, but I just paid one use before they were chipped for $54.I will look at there site. Thank you.

Craig D Peltier
09-10-2008, 10:08 AM
I used a set of Freud $99 dado with 4 chipped tips for 2 years with good results. I never felt to replace them. Give it a go and see if it's even an issue for you.

Theres harldy anything left to what were the teeth.

Craig D Peltier
09-10-2008, 10:10 AM
I got a new chipper from Timberline tools. Its not what I expected. Its half the thickness in gague of steel, its shiny steel verse matte black. It doesnt say freud on it anywhere or anythign for that matter. My invoice says it was supposed to be a freud.
Does anyone here have a freud dado blade set thats shiny steel like this?
Im not sure if I should talk to them about this or just let it go.

Yuchol Kim
09-11-2008, 12:03 AM
Theres harldy anything left to what were the teeth.

My old TS didn't have a bottom-out stop. I had the dado set on the saw, lowered the trunnion all the way down, but unfortunately the blades hit part of the mechanism inside and ruined some tips. Still worked well, when that set got old, I didn't hesitate on getting another. :rolleyes:

Charles McCracken
09-11-2008, 9:13 AM
I got a new chipper from Timberline tools. Its not what I expected. Its half the thickness in gague of steel, its shiny steel verse matte black. It doesnt say freud on it anywhere or anythign for that matter. My invoice says it was supposed to be a freud.
Does anyone here have a freud dado blade set thats shiny steel like this?
Im not sure if I should talk to them about this or just let it go.

The coatings and finishes of our dado components has varied over the years and it is possible to find one that does not exactly match the original but the materials and grind are identical so they are direct replacements. However, if the gauge of the plate is different you have not received the correct chipper. It is the thickness of the plate that determines the spacing so for a 1/8" chipper the plate will be 1/8" and the plate of the 1/16" chipper will be 1/16", etc. It sounds like what you were after may be a 1/8" chipper for an SD208. If so, the correct item number is SD208C18. Measure the plate of the chipper you are replacing to be sure.

Craig D Peltier
09-11-2008, 10:11 PM
The coatings and finishes of our dado components has varied over the years and it is possible to find one that does not exactly match the original but the materials and grind are identical so they are direct replacements. However, if the gauge of the plate is different you have not received the correct chipper. It is the thickness of the plate that determines the spacing so for a 1/8" chipper the plate will be 1/8" and the plate of the 1/16" chipper will be 1/16", etc. It sounds like what you were after may be a 1/8" chipper for an SD208. If so, the correct item number is SD208C18. Measure the plate of the chipper you are replacing to be sure.

Just looked at the number on the order its the same one. SD208C18
Heres 3 pics that tell the story.Looks like they may have sent the wrong one then. I got email saying it was out of stock or backordered and then three days later I got an email saying thye were sending it.
So I guess I should call then.Please confirm.
On a digital caliper Steel on new is .06 Steel on old is .12 Tooth on new is .14 on old is .27

Thank you

Charles McCracken
09-12-2008, 9:28 AM
The chipper that you received is the 1/16" chipper, item SD208C16. I looked at the orders from Timberline and they appear to have ordered correctly so the mistake is evidently on Freud's end. Please email or PM me with your address and I will happily send the correct one to you. I apologize for the mix up.