PDA

View Full Version : Watcha payin for firewood?

Matt Ocel
09-07-2008, 11:27 AM
I had a guy bringin me 2ea 16" x 4' x 8' all birch.
Delvered, stacked, $180.00
I called him last week and his phone was disconected.

Now the cheapest I can find is -
1ea 16" x 4' x 8' mixed hardwoods.
$125 if I pick it up.
Add $100 for delivery and stack.

Joe Cunningham
09-07-2008, 11:42 AM
Mixed hardwood, $200 a cord delivered (I get to stack).

Last year it was $180 a cord delivered, but from a different source.

This year's delivery is better quality wood from what I can tell so far--a lot fewer knarly, ratty pieces.

Steve Clardy
09-07-2008, 12:08 PM
Wheew.

I usually cut most of mine.
Bought a couple cords last year as I was running short.

All oak delivered, not stacked just thrown out. $95.00 cord

Bob Rufener
09-07-2008, 12:35 PM
I make my own wood also. $125 for a face cord seems on the high side. I saw an add recently for a 16" x 4' x 9' for $80 you pick up. That was for seasoned maple.

Rob Bourgeois
09-07-2008, 5:14 PM
free now ...just watch for down power lines.

Just put away a truck load of oak some one was so kind to cut up in firepit sized pieces and left for the hurricane debris pick up.

Sean Troy
09-07-2008, 5:42 PM
Here in NW Kentucky, a cord of Oak can be found for 75.00 if you search. Average price is anywhere from 90-125.

Greg Cuetara
09-07-2008, 5:53 PM
Up here in Maine...if you can find seasoned wood....it is going for $250 - $300 / cord...but no one has any seasoned wood around here and green is going for about the same or about 20 bucks cheaper / cord. Send some of that oak our our way and you could make a bundle lol.

Jay Jolliffe
09-07-2008, 6:59 PM
I live in Maine also & just paid $235.00 for mixed hard wood. No oak.....Birch, ash, yellow birch small amount of maple:(

Jim Becker
09-07-2008, 7:53 PM
It's well over $200 around here to buy a cord...fortunately, I have a whole bunch of ash begging to be split. So that will likely be another weekend with Fred Voorhees and his splitter with him taking a big share. I didn't burn any last winter due to our addition project, so I'm actually ok if I don't split any more, but that's not necessarily good for the wood.

Jim O'Dell
09-07-2008, 8:44 PM
I might have to look into buying some this year. We have been burning mostly dead fall, elm, pecan and a little oak. But it is sure a hassle since most of it is small. Takes a lot of time to keep the fire going. A couple of the mechanics at work cut wood for extra money. Might be able to get a good deal. Might not. :rolleyes: If nothing else, I need to get a chunk or two of non-split oak to try some bandsaw boxes with. Jim.

Lon LeBlanc
09-07-2008, 11:08 PM
Some downed Oak tree limbs around here, but mostly beam cutoffs from the new home construction that's going on after the wild fires last October. It's all Doug Fir, but splits up quite nicely for the fireplace, and there's tons of it. Good thing as it burns faster than Oak.

Nice thing is the cost: Zippo! I've been up here since '02 and haven't paid for firewood yet. Burned Pine from the bark beetle infestation for the first three years, supplementing with downed oak and sweet gum. But now I have about 3 cords of beam cutoffs split and stacked...enough for this winter and maybe next. Another cord is Oak limb wood. I'm ready for whatever winter dishes out.

Lon

Joe Pelonio
09-08-2008, 8:12 AM
My parents heat their home all winter with firewood, and normally buy logs, then my stepdad cuts them to size and splits them. Normally they can get a truckload for $300-400 which ends up at about 5 cords.

This year they have a full shed for winter but are looking for a supply for next year and cannot find it at any price, it's just not available.

Randy Cohen
09-08-2008, 8:59 AM
sounds like the firewood business is booming. does it pay to buy firewood to burn for heat or is the cost of more automatic heating fuels comparable? i have 25 acres of woods with plenty of standing dead locust that i work up and burn. but this is practically free except for chain saw gas and tractor fuel. and some of that unaccountable stuff called my time.

Kevin Arceneaux
09-08-2008, 9:09 AM
Free thanks to Gustav. Though it may be a bit green for this year, next year it will perfect.

Dennis Peacock
09-08-2008, 9:49 AM
So far, all my wood has been free. Wood around here is currently selling at $70 a rick, but then you get into the discussion about how much wood are you really buying....face cord, full cord, rick, brick, stack, a bundle, or by the piece. ;)

Full Cord - 4'W x 4'H x 8'L or 128 cubic feet

Sheldon Cord (long cord) - No real definition of a Sheldon Cord, but it's definition is just "more than a full cord".

Face Cord - 1/3 of a Full Cord. 16"W x 4'H x 8'L (common)

Joe Cunningham
09-08-2008, 10:35 AM
sounds like the firewood business is booming. does it pay to buy firewood to burn for heat or is the cost of more automatic heating fuels comparable?

Other heating sources are very expensive around here. Our house is electric heat, and we have the third highest electric rates in the country (almost $0.20 per kwh), just after Hawaii and NY. Home heating oil is insane right now, and pellet stoves don't work if you don't have power (neither does electric heat).

And the only time you lose electricity in the winter around here? During winter storms, exactly when you usually need heat.

I would have paid twice what I did. We have enough wood for this year and next, but I plan do some wood cutting this winter as we have plenty of oak on our property.