PDA

View Full Version : American Elm (White Elm) shallow bowl.

Leo Van Der Loo
09-07-2008, 2:41 AM
I made this shallow Elm Bowl from a very large White Elm, there are not many large Elms left over, except for Siberian Elm as they aren't affected by the Dutch Elm disease, This bowl is 17" across and 3" high.
All comments and replies appreciated :D

Ron Fleice
09-07-2008, 7:21 AM
Leo...this is a very nice piece, I like it very much. Now how do you tell
the difference between white or red elm?
I asked before if you ever sleep and from the looks of when you posted this the answer must be "very little" LOL:D
Ron

scott spencer
09-07-2008, 7:55 AM
Leo - That's a great looking piece of elm, and a very elegant bowl. Honestly, I'm not a turner and don't often get intrigued by a bowl, but this one is terrific IMHO.

Steve Schlumpf
09-07-2008, 10:28 AM
Good looking bowl Leo! Nice size! Really like your treatment around the lip/rim - the angle and slight undercut. That transforms the bowl from utilitarian to classy - at least to me! Very nice work and I do appreciate seeing all the variations that you have come up with in your bowl forms!

Leo Van Der Loo
09-07-2008, 9:13 PM
Hi Ron, thanks :D, Red Elm :(, there are at least two that are called Red Elm, but the most common would be the Slippery Elm, they have different leafs, more off center,(that is one half of the leaf is much larger) also the twigs taste kind of like a medicine, but without the leaves and twigs, I can't tell them apart :).
My best time for working is later in the day, I have always been a night owl, and it does get early at times :o:D

Leo Van Der Loo
09-07-2008, 9:17 PM
Thank you Scott, Elm is a nice wood IMO, just too bad they do die a early death around here.

Leo Van Der Loo
09-07-2008, 9:27 PM
Thanks Steve :D.
The---- variation,------That is one of the nicest things to me about turning, the variety and ever changing of the wood grains and colors, and the combination of different shapes that can be used to make an ever changing outcome, at least to my eyes, so it's always the "One of a kind" that appeals to me :)

Jim Kountz
09-07-2008, 9:37 PM
Excellent Leo, I love how shallow it is but WIDE! Nice job once again.
You know I have to ask this, how did you hold this one? Tenon or recess??

Leo Van Der Loo
09-07-2008, 9:55 PM
Thanks Jim :D
I'd let you guess how I held that, ;) :D, yes you're right , just my usual, with a recess, I just made a quick picture to show the bottom :)

Bernie Weishapl
09-07-2008, 10:05 PM
Great looking bowl out of some great looking wood Leo. I like the looks of the shallow bowl.

Leo Van Der Loo
09-07-2008, 10:57 PM
:DThanks Bernie appreciate your comments