PDA

View Full Version : Education

Donnie Raines
05-07-2004, 9:31 PM
Always curious to know more about those that post here. Where did you attend school? School of hard knocks counts as well.

I graduated from the University of Cincinnati with a 4 year degree then attended the buisness school(of UC) for another 2 years.

Donnie Raines

Tony Falotico
05-07-2004, 9:58 PM
Palm Beach Junior College : Associate of Arts - Architecture
Georgia Institute of Technology : Bachelor of Civil Engineering

I'm a Ramblin Wreck from Georgia Tech
And a HELLUVA ENGINEER ! :D :D

(Man, haven't sung that in years!)

Jim Becker
05-07-2004, 10:14 PM
'79 Penn State University - BS Business Logistics...go figure that I ended up in telecommunications! I also have 12 credits towards an MBA, but decided to take up woodworking instead. Despite the 4.0, I was loosing my sanity. Yea, there was still some to lose at that point!

Dean Baumgartner
05-07-2004, 10:16 PM
University of Wisconsin Madison. Degree in Engineering Mechanics.

Charles McKinley
05-07-2004, 10:30 PM
BS in Psychology - a useless degree! refuse to pay for it if it is what your child majors in, if they are really giong to do something with it help them when they are in med school for Psychiatry,

Masters of Public and International Affairs

Both from the University of Pittsburgh

Michael Perata
05-07-2004, 11:48 PM
BA in Accounting 1971 Golden Gate University, San Francisco
MS in Computer Information Science, 1999 University of Phoenix (San Jose)

Todd Burch
05-08-2004, 12:43 AM
High School Diploma - Spring High School - Spring, Texas. Hired on with IBM right out of high school.

Had I the opportunity to do it over - I would get 5 or 6 engineering degrees.

Mark Singer
05-08-2004, 12:51 AM
Mostly BS here and there!

Rob Russell
05-08-2004, 6:33 AM
- 2 1/2 years at Rensselaer Polytech floating through various majors (would have been class of '80).
- some time in that 'school of hard knocks'.
- University of Hartford at night, BS in Business Administration (graduated SCL), double major in Economics/Finance and Insurance/Finance.

No plans for an MBA, am part way through the CPCU exams.

Frank Pellow
05-08-2004, 6:58 AM
Bachelor of Science in Math and Physics from the University of Waterloo in 1964.

Kevin Beck
05-08-2004, 7:23 AM
B.S . Systems Science Scientific (now called Control Systems Engineering)
University of West Florida 1984

I've been doing the embedded software engineer thing for about 20 years now.

Richard Gillespie
05-08-2004, 7:31 AM
Hired on at the gas co. right out of high school in 1964.

BS is what we did on break.
MS is more of the same.
PHD is just piled higher and deeper.

Retired in 1995 and went to work in a cabinet/furniture making shop. I worked there for 4 years until the dust got to me.

Now self employed and attend NVCC for computer classes.

Randy Moore
05-08-2004, 8:48 AM
High Shool Diploma from the Shawnee Mission school dist.in Overland PArk Ks. Tried Jr College for 3, count 'em, days and then went to work as a sheet metal worker in K.C. Mo. Been doing that for 32 years, retiring in 5 years at 55.
I've been cleaned out by 2 ex-wives but have a keeper now.
A lot of BS in life, on the job and just about everywhere and got into some stuff that i would just as soon forget.
I now take life 1 day at a time, go fishin' if I want. I do as I want while keepin' wife.

Ed Falis
05-08-2004, 9:37 AM
I did a few years of knocking around after I quit college first time. That was a good education.

Then:

BA Math, Western CT State 1980
MS Computer Engineering, Stanford, 1982

- Ed

Tim Morton
05-08-2004, 11:59 AM
Spent 5 years in the navy right out of high school(1979) as a Navy photographer where i traveled all over the world before settling here in Vermont, 45 miles from where I was born.

Tyler Howell
05-08-2004, 12:28 PM
[QUOTE=Randy Moore]I've been cleaned out by 2 ex-wives

Yah Randy, an X will teach you the bluze!

My two lovely daughters, my best teachers, taught me about life, patience, and forgiveness.
A year of private college, 2 years of trade school = AA in electronic technology + 6 years at the Aeronautical Academy + 2 years at the U of M = BS in psychology. Vo tech schools X3= EMT D.I.
Basic, intermediate, & advanced sailing/navigation classes = Coast Guard six pack.;)

Mark Singer
05-08-2004, 1:59 PM
Tyler,
I knew there would be some "BS" in there.....in that respect we learned a lot of the same Sh....tuff

Michael Cody
05-08-2004, 4:59 PM
AAS - Architectural Drafting, Ferris State University 1979
AAS - Industrial Chemical Technology, Ferris State University 1980
BS - Production MGT w/Minor in Mechanical Engineering - Ferris State University 1982

Did the architecture thing, decided I didn't want to bend over a board for the rest of my life, went summers and got the Chem Tech degree but job offers out of school were barely 10k a year so I went back and got the 4 year degree.. went to work for HeathKit in 82 -- spent a lot of time making and playing with PC's, then a supervisor for a automotive test equip company and did CNC PGM, then on to QC in a tape company with more PLC and finally into IT Full time in 1990 .. now a hired gun consultant & troubleshooter for IBM & Cisco equipment with an IBM Business partner.. funny how it all works out.

Bill Grumbine
05-08-2004, 6:06 PM
BA in psychology from Indiana University of PA, 1982 (5 1/2 yr plan). Like Chuck says, a worthless degree.

MA in Biblical Studies, Biblical Theological Seminary, 1988, a very worthwhile degree.

Two years post grad studies in marriage and family counseling, no degree but lots of experience.

Bill

Dave Anderson NH
05-08-2004, 7:10 PM
HS diploma Allendale School Rochester, NY 6-6-66

Tufts University Medford, MA 1966-Jan 1968 Political Science/ History

USMC Jan 1968-Sept 1969 Great Southeast Asian Wargames

Tufts University Medford, MA Sept 1969- August 1972 BSCE- Water Supply and Sewerage

Martin Shupe
05-08-2004, 7:55 PM
1979-1983 BS in Forestry, Stephen F. Austin State University, Nacogdoches, TX
1983-1986 MS in Forestry, SFASU, (9 hours short of an MBA as well)
Thesis: "The effects of nitrogen and phosphorous on loblolly pine trees grown on lignite mine spoil in East Texas".
1986-1988 US Navy Flight School

Currently: Airbus 300/310 First Officer school

Jason Roehl
05-08-2004, 8:08 PM
HS--inaugural class member of a residential G/T HS in Indiana, graduated May 23, 1992

Spent 3.5 years at Purdue University in West Lafayette figuring out that I wasn't getting anywhere and wasn't enjoying getting there (and still had at least 2 more years to go). Spent time in the schools of Electrical Engineering and Industrial Management.

Now I'm a self-employed contractor with no degrees, and only the regret that I spent as much time (and money!) in college as I did....

Ed Falis
05-08-2004, 8:45 PM
Jason,

What you were saying about your college career certainly echoes my feelings about my first one. It's too bad kids are rushed into it (would almost be better if there were some kind of civilian mandatory service to expose them to the world before they have to try to make these kinds of decisions).

I was something like 29 before I settled into a real "career" groove. And even after that, I bounced around between software development, management, sales and marketing for a bunch of years.

- Ed

Tyler Howell
05-08-2004, 9:15 PM
HS diploma Allendale School Rochester, NY 6-6-66

Tufts University Medford, MA 1966-Jan 1968 Political Science/ History

USMC Jan 1968-Sept 1969 Great Southeast Asian Wargames

Tufts University Medford, MA Sept 1969- August 1972 BSCE- Water Supply and Sewerage
Dave, a whole lot of my money went to Tufts.:o Good school, Great investment.;)

Don Henthorn Smithville, TX
05-08-2004, 9:17 PM
BS in education with English and social studies majors. Ms in counseling psychology Univ. Texas, never went back to finish the dissertation for the PHD. Never let anyone know I am a psychologist since the field went to pot back in the sixties and has never recovered.

Ted Calver
05-08-2004, 11:43 PM
Bachelors in Landscape Architecture from SUNY College of Environmental Science and Forestry (1965), Masters in Public Administration from Golden Gate University (1980). 27 years in USAF as GCI Controller (1744) and Targeting Officer (8086). Now practicing (until I get it right) Landscape Architecture in the Hampton Roads area of Virginia.

Steven Wilson
05-09-2004, 12:05 AM
B.S. Geology, Eastern Michigan University, 1981
M.S. Geology, University of California, Riverside, 1985. Thesis: "Pre-Plutonic Structure and Stratigraphy of the Little Shay Mountain Area, San Bernardino Mountains, San Bernardino County, California."

Wes Bischel
05-09-2004, 1:19 AM
2 yrs at Illinois Institute of Technology
+
2 yrs at University of Illinois
=
1 BFA degree in Industrial Design.

17 yrs in corporate - new product development

currently
2 yrs consulting and Mr. Mom :eek:

Peter Dufresne
05-09-2004, 9:46 AM
BA in History from Western New England College... mostly went there to earn 4 varsity letters in ice hockey

Masters of Ed. Adin from the University of Mass Amherst

Daniel Rabinovitz
05-09-2004, 1:28 PM
BS in Ed. California University of Pennsylvania
MS in Ed. California University of Pennsylvania
and Certified to teach Vocational Drafting.
And as per Rich Gillespie (sp) I had to quite teaching wood shop due to the dust in my lungs.
So I work outside, now - hence the mobile equipment.
Daniel :D

Aaron Koehl
05-10-2004, 8:59 AM
B.S. Computer Science, Christopher Newport University (http://www.cnu.edu/), 2003

Starting work next week on the Master's in Systems Engineering at the University of Virginia (http://www.virginia.edu/)--graduation will be this April, 2005.

Matt Meiser
05-12-2004, 8:50 PM
BS in Electrical Engineering from Rose-Hulman Institute of Technology in 1996 and now I'm a software architect for a large engineering consulting company.

Carl Eyman
05-12-2004, 9:18 PM
My granddaughter just applied there (Rose Hulman). Was accepted, I believe, but made another choice. I was a little disapointed; thought it seemed to be an excellent school.

Jim McFall
05-12-2004, 10:02 PM
High school grad with regents degree in science and math. Directly to the Coast Guard where i learnde to operate high pressure Boilers. From there to the insurance industry as a commissioned National Board Inspector. All suring this time nites at Community college but no degree. I do not recommend that approach for anyone. Put my daughter thru Marist College and the son went the IBEW apprentist route and is now a journeman Electriction.
HKU is a tough place to get a degree from and I'm still working on it.
I also am more than half way finished getting my CPCU and AU which is insurance industry crap.
Young people should learn that you do not EARN a living, you LEARN a living.

Jim

Chris Padilla
05-12-2004, 10:53 PM
B.S. in Electrical Engineering from Colorado State University in Fort Collins, CO (1995)
M.S. in Electrical Engineering from The University of Colorado at Boulder, focus on Electromagnetics (1997)

For fun, the wifey:

B.S. in Electrical Engineering from The University of Belgrade in Belgrade, Serbia, Yugoslavia (1993)
Ph.D in Electrical Engineering from The University of Colorado at Boulder, focus on Optics and Electromagnetics (1998)

Can you guess where we met?? ;)

Robert Ducharme
05-12-2004, 11:10 PM
BS in Math and Physics

MS in Computer Science '77

Numerous post graduate classes, US Navy Submarine School

Mike Scoggins
05-13-2004, 4:25 PM
B.S. in Petroleum Engineering, 1986, Texas Tech University, Lubbock, TX

Worked on an MBA for a couple of semesters @ Tech until my wife finished school, but never completed it.

Donnie Raines
05-13-2004, 4:43 PM
And "they" said we wood workers are not educated! Huh!

Thanks to all who posted!

Donnie Raines

Kent Cori
05-14-2004, 9:28 AM
BS in Civil and Environmental Engineering - University of Wisconsin, Madison when we still used slider rules (we Badgers are everywhere!)
MBA - University of Wisconsin, Whitewater (10 years later)
Continuously ongoing education and loss of hair rasing two kids. :rolleyes:

Brad Schmid
05-14-2004, 5:09 PM
B.S. in Electrical Engineering from The Pennsylvania State University (1990)

Tim Sproul
05-14-2004, 6:29 PM
BS University of Illinois Champaign Urbana
PhD (life sciences - immunology) Northwestern University.

Have no idea if they were worth it....

Chris Padilla
05-14-2004, 7:34 PM
Well, Dr. Sproul...I hope you can come by Saturday! :)

Wes Bischel
05-14-2004, 11:28 PM
Hey Tim,

I spent 2 years at U of I and grew up in Evanston.
Ever go to D&D Finer Foods on Noyes Ave.?

Wes - transplant on the other coast

Tim Sproul
05-17-2004, 10:47 AM
Wes,

I did my doctorate at Northwestern but lived in downtown Chicago proper. I didn't see much of Evanston other than a bit of the downtown area within walking distance of the campus. Never did go to D&D finer foods, that I can recall. My wife was at dental school at UIC, hence why we were living downtown....driving is second nature to me. She abhores a commute longer than 5 or 10 minutes.

Arvin Brown
05-17-2004, 11:18 AM
University of Tennessee - Go Vols!

BS - Mechanical Engineering
MBA
Minor in Math
Minor in Spanish