PDA

View Full Version : Weekend Show Results

Matt Hutchinson
09-06-2008, 8:49 PM
The show was great fun, and I had a really good time. The only people who bought some pieces were family members. It was really a crafts show and crowd. In fact, even a lot of the crafters didn't sell much. But I did get good exposure, and it's great to have a 'dry run' before I do a true art show.

There were several people who were quite serious about giving me a call in the near future for gifts and such. Though they may or may not actually call back, I do believe they are seriously interested. And I did get some good info on local art shows, at least one of which is juried. I think I will apply to them to try and get in next year. Thanks for your support! Now it's time to crash. A 70 hour week all on my feet has got me bushed!

Hutch

P.S. The panorama of the show doesn't even picture half of the exhibitors. There were tons there, but only three turning booths. None of us did well.

Curt Fuller
09-06-2008, 8:56 PM
Looks like a nice display! Don't feel too bad about the slow sales. From what I've heard things have been slow. Folks must be tight with their money with the economy as it is. But your work looks great.

Steve Schlumpf
09-06-2008, 9:00 PM
Matt - looks like you had a really nice display area set up! Glad to hear you had fun, made contacts and are going to try your hand at some juried shows! Best of luck!

curtis rosche
09-06-2008, 9:09 PM
it looks like people were afraid to pic them up and look at them, like curt said, people are startin to get tight with money. for a small show, or a show that is not in a wealthy area, it is probably a lot better, to make and sell usable bowls, instead of art peices. they see a use for and an can justify buying it, an art peice, not so much.

nice display though and nice peices

Matt Hutchinson
09-06-2008, 9:43 PM
Thanks guys! :)

Actually, just about everyone handled them. People showed respect for them, yet weren't afraid to touch, which is exactly how I had hoped it would be. (Plus, as a precaution I had 1" thick styrofoam padding the table and riser.)

I don't think functional pieces would have helped much. One of the other turners specialized in very nice functional bowls, oil lamps, bottle stoppers, and pepper mills. He didn't do well either. What y'all said is likely to be true....just plain slow all around.

Hutch

P.S. Still having issues with the photo botth setup. My camera isn't responding the way I think it's supposed to. I will keep working on it so I can get a couple nice shots for a portfolio, and I'll post as soon as something is worth while.

Richard Madison
09-06-2008, 10:18 PM
Hutch,
Ok to ask (turning related) photo questions here if it could be helpful. Some very talented photographers (self not included) paddling around in SM Creek.

Bernie Weishapl
09-06-2008, 10:29 PM
Hutch I did a craft show a month ago and did not do well at all. Sold 4 of the low end pieces. There were 2 other turners there and one did not sell a thing the other sold 2 pens. My wife roamed the area talking with quite a few people and nobody sold much of anything. I only heard of one there that sold enough to cover his booth. I think with the economy as it is people just aren't spending. Glad you had a good time anyway.

Barry Stratton
09-06-2008, 11:00 PM
You ended up with a terrific display and a nice selection of product.

Excellent job preparing on short notice also!!!!! Keep at it and you will do fine. Consider this weekend "paying your dues":rolleyes:

Leo Van Der Loo
09-07-2008, 12:34 AM
Matt you got beautiful pieces and a good display, the outcome doesn't surprise me though.
I'm sure it was a learning experience, make sure you have fun, it will always show and work for you.

Matt Hutchinson
09-07-2008, 7:37 AM
Thanks for all the encouragement! Yes, I did have a ton of fun, and I can't wait to go to another show.

Hutch

P.S. In case some of you hadn't caught my final pricing decisions, I did price them lower than my initial prices (drastically lower in some cases). So I don't think that was the issue either.

Reed Gray
09-07-2008, 12:07 PM
Matt,
One thing most never consider about shows is getting more wood. When asked what kind of wood do I turn, I say fire wood, and then explain that most of what I get is wood that is already down for whatever reason, and 'have chainsaw and hand truck, will trade'.

I only did 2 shows this summer. Both were about what I expected, normal, not great. You never know with show business.

robo hippy

Keith Burns
09-07-2008, 12:43 PM
Nice display Matt ! Things are slow all around in the "art" world so don't get discouraged. I think that establishing yourself plays a part as well. I think people like to know that you are not a flash in the pan.

Matt Hutchinson
09-07-2008, 1:40 PM
You guys always manage to keep my spirits high. Though I wasn't exactly discouraged after the show, I feel even better now. Actually, I just spent the morning scouring the web for Michigan art shows. Man, there are some seriously high end shows! Right now I have put an initial list of shows to apply for next year. There are a few I am not going to bother applying to simply because they are for the best of the best of the best, and I am certainly not ready for that yet. In a couple years maybe. But there are five I am looking into, not the one I just entered, and a couple are very nice juried shows.

But anyway, after seeing what types of turnings are in some of the best shows in the country I feel challenged and inspired to take things to the next level. I guess a won't have as much time to relax as I thought. I got bowls to rough out, and ideas to develop!

Hutch

P.S. One show is so high end that they require a list of every single item that will be displayed, and they have to approve them all! But then again, I think that particular show is rated in the top ten in the nation!!

Toney Robertson
09-07-2008, 8:26 PM
Hey Matt,

How do you go about finding art shows?

I have found a couple of websites but they required membership and I don't want to waste any money if they are not worth it.

TIA

Toney

Oh, buy the way, I really liked how you had your booth set up. It looked very professional.

Matt Hutchinson
09-07-2008, 9:52 PM
Thanks for the booth comments! :)

Actually, I am surprised you weren't able to find free listings just using simple search techniques. I really didn't do anything special to locate them. But one thing that did prove very effective was searching using a specific state or city. Such as 'illinois art festival' or 'michigan art fairs' or 'chicago juried art'. My wife and I were even able to find a Michigan listing which had pretty much every single fair in the state listed. But we did notice that most other states were not listed on that specific site, and this may be due to the fact that Michigan happens to have a lot of very high quality shows, with Ann Arbor being in the top ten in the nation. Then again, it could be coincidence.

I know this may not be a whole lot of help, and I hope you find what you need.

Hutch

Frank Kobilsek
09-08-2008, 11:46 AM
Matt,
Great display, especially for a first timer. I haven't done alot of shows but here are a few ideas for the future.

1) Make some extensions for your table legs. Bringing the table top up to 36" to 40" puts the work closer to the eye of the buyer.

2) The 'U' shape table lay out seemed like a good idea to me my first few shows. I seemed to find myself traped in the middle blocking folks or behind and could not reach the folks in the front. An L on one side and a straight row on the other side with a gap between works better for me. I can pass from behind to front without walking all the way around. Discovered this after a show set-up volunteer drove over one of my table with a Gator, mangling a leg and I had to inprovise.

3) The $100 Wal Mart Tent will work for awhile but the first time you get big wheather you'll be in trouble. Start saving your money for a professional tent. I co-own mine with am insurance agant that does a fair or two each year.

4) Getting into juried shows is all about the pictures. Good work & bad pictures will result in rejection letters. Bad work and good pictures will beat you out, sad but true.

God Bless Friends and Family for thier genorousity. The only problem with them collecting your early work is that 3 years from now you'll want to take it back and make them something better because you won't be as proud as they are of those pieces. My Mom has a cherry platter she thinks is the greatest piece of art since the Mona Lisa. Its too thick, the tourquise is cloudy, the soft wax finsih shows everyones finger prints, she shows it to everybody that comes to the house. I can do so much better now I just want to take it back and give her another but she won't have it. Its a funny dymanic you'll experience over the next several years.

You are off to a good start.

Frank

Matt Hutchinson
09-08-2008, 12:48 PM
Actually, this was only a two table setup, in an L shape. It worked very well, especially since I had a limited number and style of pieces.

I can definitely see what you mean about the booth and bad weather. I knew it would be a little light weight when I bought it, and it's certainly in the 'starter' category. Actually, this morning I ran into a guy I know and he said he has an EZ-Up. He said I can borrow it, and I may take him up on the offer in the future if bad weather seems likely.

Good to know about getting into juried shows. I have heard often how important good photos are.

Thanks for all the help!

Hutch

jason lambert
09-08-2008, 1:45 PM
Nice set up, looked good. Pictures are important at least of the better pieces. It is nice to have some pics also after you sell them especally if someone looks wants any commision work. I would alwas leave a big book of my work out so people can see I have more than what is on display or al least they think I do. Good luck will be following your progress.

robert hainstock
09-08-2008, 4:06 PM
Marquette Mi has an art show in July called "Art on the rocks". At the same time there is a Crafts/art show nearby called "Art in the Outback". Turners do well at the Outback, and generaly avoid the "Rocks". Marquette area chambor ofcommerce can give you registration info. Remember again that there are good shows, and bad shows. Keep on keepin on.:)
Bob

Harvey Mushman
09-08-2008, 6:12 PM
I can definitely see what you mean about the booth and bad weather. I knew it would be a little light weight when I bought it, and it's certainly in the 'starter' category. Actually, this morning I ran into a guy I know and he said he has an EZ-Up. He said I can borrow it, and I may take him up on the offer in the future if bad weather seems likely.

Hutch

Stay away from the EZ-Up canopies at all cost. They may be a better than what you used, but these are not the tents to have in any bad weather. EZ-Ups are the first thing at any art fair to fold up, blow away, or snap like a twig. I've had 2 neighbors at festivals this year lose everything because they were in these tents. If anyone ever takes my advice, these are not what you want protecting your work when the weather gets the least bit nasty.

EZ-Ups are of light construction. When they are weighted down sufficiently to keep them from being blown away in a light to moderate wind situation, the legs and bracing are not heavy enough to withstand the touque and will snap or buckle.

Go with tents like Craft Hut or Light Dome.

Matt Hutchinson
09-08-2008, 8:08 PM
Thanks for the head up, Harvey!!

Hutch

Barry Stratton
09-08-2008, 10:59 PM
Stay away from the EZ-Up canopies at all cost. They may be a better than what you used, but these are not the tents to have in any bad weather. EZ-Ups are the first thing at any art fair to fold up, blow away, or snap like a twig. I've had 2 neighbors at festivals this year lose everything because they were in these tents. If anyone ever takes my advice, these are not what you want protecting your work when the weather gets the least bit nasty.

EZ-Ups are of light construction. When they are weighted down sufficiently to keep them from being blown away in a light to moderate wind situation, the legs and bracing are not heavy enough to withstand the touque and will snap or buckle.

Go with tents like Craft Hut or Light Dome.

Interesting Harvey. I set an EZ-Up up the night before a 2 day juried show during a tornado warning with VERY high winds. It was still standing the next morning........then I watched 4 different tents crumple and twist in the VERY HIGH winds. None of them were EZ-Ups. Mine weathered the storm in one piece.......a little nerve wracking but definitely held up well.

Sorry Matt................did I mention NICE DISPLAY????:D