PDA

View Full Version : Mind as well GLOAT a little...PIC...

Dennis Peacock
05-07-2004, 8:18 PM
Well....after much deliberation, pondering and researching...AND...after my old belt/disk sander bit the dust for the 5th and final time.....I decided to buy a SERIOUS disk sander. This baby weighs 72 Pounds out of the box...and who said it was "portable"!!???

So why did I choose this ONE?

1. Safety stop lever on the top back.
2. Built in fan to help divert the dust out the tube that comes with it.
3. It is heavy enough to handle what I do when disk sanding.
4. It is super quiet and silky smooth when running.
5. It appears to have a really big appetite for wood.!!! ;)
6. It was such a cool tool, that my next to the youngest WANTED his picture taken with it. He's a great dad's shop helper.!!!! :o

Frank Pellow
05-07-2004, 8:26 PM
Looks like you have both a great tool and a great helper.

Chris Padilla
05-07-2004, 8:27 PM
Awesome, Dennis! Good thing your kid didn't get your looks, eh? :D

Bruce Page
05-07-2004, 8:32 PM
Dennis, I have one of those and it does a great job. You are right, it will eat some wood if you aren't careful.

Billy Reynolds
05-07-2004, 8:40 PM
Great looking new addition to your shop. Sure glad that boy take after his mother!!!!! See ya at work next week, finishing up second week of recoup after knee surgery. Hope to been in the office Tuesday. Later Dude

John Weber
05-07-2004, 9:08 PM
Dennis,

Great gloat, that is one of the last power items on my list. I'm glad to hear you are so pleased.

John

Boyd Gathwright
05-07-2004, 9:36 PM
Hi Dennis,

Congrats on your purchase, looks like a good buy, can you give us a “link” to its specs and price. Did you buy from Amazon.com?

Cheers

Boyd :cool:

Well....after much deliberation, pondering and researching...AND...after my old belt/disk sander bit the dust for the 5th and final time.....I decided to buy a SERIOUS disk sander. This baby weighs 72 Pounds out of the box...and who said it was "portable"!!???

So why did I choose this ONE?

1. Safety stop lever on the top back.
2. Built in fan to help divert the dust out the tube that comes with it.
3. It is heavy enough to handle what I do when disk sanding.
4. It is super quiet and silky smooth when running.
5. It appears to have a really big appetite for wood.!!! ;)
6. It was such a cool tool, that my next to the youngest WANTED his picture taken with it. He's a great dad's shop helper.!!!! :o

Jim Becker
05-07-2004, 10:10 PM
What a pair...a sander and a not-so-sandy hair young fellow! Nice too. Great kid--what's not to like about a youngster who likes tools?

John Miliunas
05-07-2004, 10:13 PM
Congrats, Dennis! Nice piece. Bet you could give yourself one heckuva' manicure in a hurry on that puppy! :D Hey, good lookin' son, too! Looks to me like you're techin' him right! :cool:

Dennis Peacock
05-07-2004, 11:26 PM
Thanks Guys....

I bought it from Rockler since they had the best price at the time. Joseph really likes working with me in the shop and he even turned his very first PEN about 2 weeks ago....BOY....was HE ever excited.!!! :) :D

The only thing I don't like about this sander is the price of each sanding disk....over $5 each....so they had BETTER last a while in my book.!!!

David Rose
05-08-2004, 12:17 AM
Dennis, this link

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.asp?page=20171&category=1,42500&ccurrency=2&SID=

is for Lee Valley's disks. I can't be sure that they will always be this as their ads don't say, but mine are Klingspor. The first I got from them had bad adhesive over about 1/2 the disk. But they got me a replacement that is great. And if you haven't used Klingspor abrasives you don't know what you are missing. I don't know if they are the best, but they outlast everything else (not too many different ones) that I've tried. I put a 120 grit on the sander (same as yours) against other folks suggestions, but pine is the only thing that is trying to load it up so far. I did burn some end grain on oak, but I was horsing it a little. Several guys said to go coarser for the end grain. I have used it on metal and wood considerably and it still cleans up like new.

That Delta runs so smoothly that I'll probably end up with another one in the gunshop before too long.

Oh, and one thing... When I took the poorly sticking abrasive disk off (first one after factory, I noticed that the adhesive was really difficult to remove where it did stick. The disk on mine came straight off a lathe with no grinding at all. It appeared to have been turned with a fairly pointed tool and a fast cross feed. You could trim your fingernails rubbing across the disk... with no paper! No way to remove the adhesive completely. I used a maroon abrasive pad with mineral spirits and held it to the disk while it was slowing down with power off and no braking about twice. I moved it slowly across the disk with light pressure. The metal disk was no longer rough and was clean as a whistle. The new disk stuck like... glue? It should remove and clean very easily now.

David

Thanks Guys....

I bought it from Rockler since they had the best price at the time. Joseph really likes working with me in the shop and he even turned his very first PEN about 2 weeks ago....BOY....was HE ever excited.!!! :) :D

The only thing I don't like about this sander is the price of each sanding disk....over $5 each....so they had BETTER last a while in my book.!!!

Steven Wilson
05-08-2004, 2:20 AM
Nice score, a large disk sander is a very usefull tool.

Keith Outten
05-08-2004, 6:56 AM
Nice sander Dennis. You can't beat a sander that is well balanced and quiet. it must be a joy to use.

Kevin Beck
05-08-2004, 7:26 AM
The sander looks nice but you can't beat Joseph's shirt.

War Eagle.

Kevin

Jim Becker
05-08-2004, 9:09 AM
Dennis, if you use a crepe block to clean the disk frequently, you'll be surprised at how long it will last...

Dennis Peacock
05-08-2004, 10:08 AM
Mornin' Jim,

Yea...I use a cleaning stick on by Performax and other sanders so I guess I'll see how it does on this one.

Kevin Beck....The LOML says that it should be Crimson and White. You see, the only person in either side of the family that is an Auburn fan is my Brother-In-Law....everyone else is diehard Alabama fan. Me? I don't care that much about it. I can count how many ball games I have ever watched on tv without running out of fingers and toes to count on.

Yes...I played basketball through Jr. high, baseball, softball, football through high school, tennis, golf, bowled on the USAF team overseas and was really good at volleyball and also played on the local USAF team while overseas. But to sit and watch sports or tv in general....? I just ain't got time nor the interest.

So <b>War Eagle</b>.!!!!! AND <b>Roll Tide</b>.!!!! :D

Jim Becker
05-08-2004, 10:31 AM
But to sit and watch sports or tv in general....? I just ain't got time nor the interest.
Amen! (Although 2 "Normies" on Saturday morning is a nice thing to do...:p )

Terre Hooks
05-09-2004, 8:58 AM
Well I see your son has his heart right.

War Eagle.

Terry Hatfield
05-09-2004, 11:32 AM
Yo Dennis,

That gray tool is going to thow off the entire color scheme in your shop!!!! :rolleyes:

Seriously, nice sander. Joseph looks like he is really proud of it.

t