PDA

View Full Version : Spaulted Ambrosia Maple HF - Critique Requested

BILL DONAHUE
09-06-2008, 6:59 PM
This is the spaulted ambrosia maple form I had asked for suggestions on finishing. I do intend to get some gel poly and some polymerized tung oil and appreciate the suggestions. Since I wanted to get it finished and especially since I saw those two spectacular maple HF's by Keith Burns that were just buffed and waxed, I decided to follow his lead.

It's 8 1/2" x 4 1/4", purchased from turningblanks.net (two guys that put out a terrific product for those working too many hours to cut their own), rough turned wet, then kept in a bag for eight weeks and beall buffed and waxed.

I was shooting for a southwest Indian pottery shape. Because the wood looked so good I slowed down and tried not to make any mistakes. The tool work is getting better with just a little tear-out but there's still a lot of room for improvement. Again, sorry for the lack of a photo tent; these were taken at the pool.

Toney Robertson
09-06-2008, 7:04 PM
Bill,

I like it.

Beautiful wood and the form is quite nice.

Toney

curtis rosche
09-06-2008, 7:08 PM
great color form and finish, and pool

Jim Becker
09-06-2008, 7:11 PM
Bill, that looks pretty nice from what I can see. It would be helpful to have a photo with the entire profile in view, however. The current set doesn't give that, although the first one is closer than the others. I will say, however, that the material is absolutely gorgeous!

Robert McGowen
09-06-2008, 7:59 PM
Very nice form for a great looking piece of wood. I think you nailed this one. :)

BILL DONAHUE
09-06-2008, 8:00 PM
Jim - here's an attempt to get a profile photo. Don't have the best camera and couldn't get one without a shadow on the bottom. The shadow makes it look like it flares out at the foot; it doesn't. Appreciate the comments.

Jim Becker
09-06-2008, 8:26 PM
That's what I wanted to see, Bill. Good form with continuous curves. Nice work!

Curt Fuller
09-06-2008, 8:48 PM
That's beautiful!

Steve Schlumpf
09-06-2008, 9:09 PM
Bill - the southwestern (pottery) style of hollow forms are my favorites. I think you nailed the form! Beautiful wood, nice overall size and as Jim already stated - you did good with the flowing curves! Looking forward to seeing some more HFs from you real soon! Nice work!

Bernie Weishapl
09-06-2008, 10:41 PM
Bill beautiful wood, form and finish. I really like the curves.

jason lambert
09-07-2008, 9:01 AM
Looks grate to me and looking at the wood the form is pergect for it that is one nice piece of wood.

Alan Trout
09-07-2008, 9:23 AM
Very nice!

Alan

Keith Burns
09-07-2008, 11:25 AM
Bill, you did a great job on this one with the form. Wood is very nice as well.

Matt Hutchinson
09-07-2008, 3:41 PM
Your forms are really looking nice. I think this is one of your best ones! Not only is it a good shape, but the wood itself is very pretty, and I love the voids. Like you said, the chip out is frustrating and obviously not what you were going for, but other than that the outcome is excellent! Can't wait to see more. :D

Hutch

P.S. Well, not to get too picky, but I guess if you are looking for constructive criticism then the only thing that you might experiment with is the lip shape at the opening. But quite frankly, I think that's relatively insignificant in this piece. Again, great job!