PDA

View Full Version : Corner Chisel Use

Jerry Thompson
09-06-2008, 6:02 PM
I have several through tenons that I need to square the mortises for. I have a new 3/8" Iles mortise chisle and have had mediocer results.
How is the little protrustion on the chisle edge used? If I did not have through tenons things would be OK. But all is not pretty with my attempts so far.
The mortises were cut with a 3/8" router bit.

harry strasil
09-06-2008, 6:18 PM
round end mortise + corner chisel, hmm. are you doing the corners from both sides, and only 3/8 to start with, you need a 1/4 corner chisel to do one corner at a time. Better alternatitive, make routed hole short and use a regular 3/8 pig sticker mortise chisel or an ordinary 3/8 bench chisel to pare to the line, from both sides.

Johnny Kleso
09-06-2008, 10:16 PM
I would not use a corner chisel for such a small mortice..

I would use a Mortice Gauge and mark both sides and use a chisel to cut the lines extra deep and with bench chisels remove 1/16" V chip from all around the Cut Lines.. That would stop all chipping or blowout...

Derek Cohen
09-07-2008, 3:29 AM
Corner chisels are a waste of time. Difficult to hone and not as easy to use as you think.

Better to (1) use a mortice chisel to square the end. Don't try and take it off in one go - pare it away, and (2) unless you "need" a square end to the tenon, round it off with a knife to match the mortice profile.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Stephen Shepherd
09-07-2008, 7:44 AM
'How is the little protrustion on the chisle edge used? '

Stephen

Frank Drew
09-08-2008, 11:06 AM
Corner chisels are a waste of time. Difficult to hone and not as easy to use as you think.

Better to (1) use a mortice chisel to square the end. Don't try and take it off in one go - pare it away, and (2) unless you "need" a square end to the tenon, round it off with a knife to match the mortice profile.

I agree with all this.