PDA

View Full Version : Delta miter saws?

Laurie Brown
09-06-2008, 5:54 PM
I recently was looking around for a miter saw, and went up to the Delta web site. Looks like they merged with Porter-Cable? Or were they always the same company and I just didn't know it? ;)

In any case, I was looking at their products and they had no miter saws listed. Do they not make miter saws any more?

Jim Becker
09-06-2008, 7:27 PM
Laurie, Delta, Porter Cable and a few other entities were sold by Pentair a few years ago to Black and Decker. I don't know about the current state of available miter saws, but for a period of time, both labels had machines differentiated largely by...the labels.

I do have an older Delta 12" miter saw. (circa about 1999 or so) I don't trust it for extreme precision, but it's what I have. I have found that the aluminum fence on it is not exactly stable, too.

John Thompson
09-06-2008, 11:27 PM
I had a cheap $99 one from the Box about 6 years ago. I bought it to do deck with pressure treat and I didn't want to gum up my slider with the gunk in that wood. The fence was mis-aligned and after two days use the trigger starting sticking which could have been from the wet pressure treat but I doubt it. Not much evidence of the gunk up around the handle and trigger.

You would probably be better off with a Hitachi or something similiar in the under $150 price range if that is your price range. I have had 2 Hitachi SCMS's and both are excellent. I would probably purchase any other brand than Delta with that purchase and a drill press that the chuck kept coming off. Gave the saw away and retured the bench-top press.

Just my opinion of the smaller Delta tools, Laurie. Someone else may have had better luck with the hand-held line of tools they produce.

Sarge..